New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

App Store - Lion - Download?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hutchism

Hutchism is an unknown at this point

Hey all. Any idea why i can't download Lion from the App Store?

I have a macbook air which came with Lion installed. I'm just wandering why it's not available for download from the App Store? It gives me the option to buy it, but it already came with the machine.

I realise I can install it over the net, but for someone with a 1 meg adsl connection it's not really ideal.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Did you mac not come with a restore disk

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Germany_chris has a spectacular aura about

you need to boot into the recovery partition..

hold "r" when you boot up...

Unfortunately Apple gave up on restore disc's

Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
MacBook Pro 5,2..2.8Ghz C2D..8GB RAM..240GB Vertex +
QUOTE Thanks
Hutchism

Hutchism is an unknown at this point

I thought there was a way i could download an image from the app store so that I can load that onto a usb stick.

Do apple expect everyone to boot into restore mode and have it hang there while it downloads a 4gb download at time of installation?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

No it should be available to dl. It dl's the whole package and you need to make a Image with Disk Utility to be able to put it on your USB stick.
Follow these instructions on how to do so.

Make Lion Bootable on a USB

http://blogchampion.com/2011/03/12/h...tore-download/ Or another tutorial

HTH

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchism View Post
I thought there was a way i could download an image from the app store so that I can load that onto a usb stick.

Do apple expect everyone to boot into restore mode and have it hang there while it downloads a 4gb download at time of installation?
Thats exactly what they expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
No it should be available to dl. It dl's the whole package and you need to make a Image with Disk Utility to be able to put it on your USB stick.
Follow these instructions on how to do so.

Make Lion Bootable on a USB

How to create a bootable Mac OS X Lion USB installer from App Store download BlogChampion.com Or another tutorial

HTH

Cheers
This works only if you upgraded not if it came preinstalled..

@OP you you can google how to create a USB from your recovery partition too..

Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
Thats exactly what they expect.

This works only if you upgraded not if it came preinstalled..
Not quite correct.

It says in the MAS that it is already installed then do as below.

When in the MAS click on the main page then while holding down the 'Option' key click on the Purchased page and this now will show Lion as a download.
Then follow the instructions to make a bootable copy to USB.

Should of made this clearer.

Cheers

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Not quite correct.

It says in the MAS that it is already installed then do as below.

When in the MAS click on the main page then while holding down the 'Option' key click on the Purchased page and this now will show Lion as a download.
Then follow the instructions to make a bootable copy to USB.

Should of made this clearer.

Cheers
But it doesn't show if it comes preinstalled..

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433?v...S&locale=en_US

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Yes you are correct. I couldnt remember purchasing it as i thought i had my MBP come with it pre-installed which after going through my Apple receipts see i did in fact purchase it. Been that long ago. My mind isnt what it use to be.

@OP sorry for the confusion

Cheers

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard drive issue: Free space keeps increasing | "MAP Drawing' program that can replace Pwr Point »