New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How can you get a program to load earlier on bootup?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slapple

slapple is on a distinguished road

I'm running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 on a late 2011 MBP. I use a Logitech mouse with it, and rely on the Logitech Control Center software to configure the mouse speed/acceleration (I don't like the Mac OS X acceleration, guess I'm too used to Windows).

The problem is that every time I boot up and log in, the mouse pointer will be extremely slow for about a minute, because it takes a minute before Mac OS X loads the Logitech Control Center. Is there any way to get Mac OS X to load it earlier?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Place it in your Login items under your account: System Preferences, Users & Groups. Click on the Login tab, click on the small lock at the bottom, enter your admin password and the lock will open. Now click on the small plus + sign and add your Logitech Control Center. Click the small lock to close it and reboot to see if it worked.
QUOTE Thanks
slapple

Hmm, I cannot find the Logitech Control Center anywhere in the Applications folder, or in the Utilities subfolder in the Applications folder. I searched for it in Finder and cannot find it. I do see the Logitech Control Center in my System Preferences though (under the Other section). I guess it's something special and not really an app.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If it's listed in System Preferences under "Other", it's already loading by itself when OS X starts up. Nothing you can do but be patient. I've got a few programs that do the same thing. Some load quickly while others more slowly.
QUOTE Thanks
slapple

I just noticed if I uncheck the "Reopen windows when logging in" box when I restart, then the Logitech Control Center will load immediately when I log in. So I guess if I have that box checked, then Mac OS X takes a minute to load the other windows before it loads the Logitech Control Center.

But it still doesn't make much sense. I just tried restarting again, with only 6 Firefox windows open, and I checked the "Reopen windows when logging in" box. When I logged in, the 6 Firefox windows opened and all loaded their pages in less than 10 seconds. But the Logitech Control Center still did not load until about a minute later. So something seems messed up here.

EDIT: I tried the experiment again - I restarted with the "Reopen windows when logging in" box checked, and I had 6 Firefox windows open as well as the Activity Monitor open. So when I logged back in, the 6 Firefox windows and Activity Monitor all reopened within 10 seconds. But then nothing happened for about a minute. Then all of a sudden 7 new processes showed up in the Activity Monitor process list at the same time - backgroundinstruments, warmd_agent, imagent, AirPort Base Station Agent, Logitech Control Center Daemon, EpsonLowInkReminderAgent, and iTunes Helper. I don't know why those 7 processes would wait a minute before they loaded, when the 6 Firefox windows and Activity Monitor all finished loading in less than 10 seconds?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to hide the menu bar when watching youtube? | Mac G5 Hard Drive Issue »