New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Validation of OS or reformatting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PS0303

PS0303 is on a distinguished road

Hi my name is Paul and I recently purchased a used Macbook Pro off of eBay and I need to see what if anything I can do to confirm that the OS and other items loaded on the unit are OK and not infected or any weird things like that. I don't want to find out that the person installed some sniffer software and will be able to get into the unit once I receive it. Should I trust someone elses system in that there isn't anything weird loaded on it? I say no.

I'm a PC person so please keep that in mind if what I ask isn't in the correct terms for the MAC world.

I was thinking of just reformatting the drive and re loading the OS but I won't have any disc for the OS. In the PC world I could make a set of start up discs that would allow me to re load the OS. Is there something like this in the MAC world?

Thanks for your help and be gentle with your responses, I'm trying to convert.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Caution is good always, but you are probably fine. Reformat and fresh OS install is outstanding idea for second hand Mac.

Post your OS (10.5 10.6 etc) and Mac specs and we will give detailed advice.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
PS0303

I have not received the unit as of yet but here is the info from the seller.

Model ID MacBookPro4,1
Model Number A1260
MPN MB133LL/A
Mac OS X10.7 Lion and has Office 2011 and iLIfe 2011 installed.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Best bet is to purchase Lion on USB direct from Apple ($69 USD) with that you can reformat and reinstall the OS.

As it is you really don't have an OS as the one on it is linked to the original owners account.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
PS0303

Yes that sounds like the best thing to do.

Thanks Razormac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari Extensions and HTTPS issues!! | Trash won't empty »