New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

PowerMac G5 Update

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

festus12macfms

festus12macfms is on a distinguished road

I have a PowerMac G5 1.6GHz, June 2003, Mac OS X 10.4 computer I ordered & expect delivery in a week. What benefits would I get if I upgrade to the Leopard. Unit has 1GB ram, 80GB HD.
Edwin Thoma, Sr
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus12macfms View Post
I have a PowerMac G5 1.6GHz, June 2003, Mac OS X 10.4 computer I ordered & expect delivery in a week. What benefits would I get if I upgrade to the Leopard. Unit has 1GB ram, 80GB HD.
Edwin Thoma, Sr
Never put your info like that in a public post. You will get spammers all over your email and maybe some phone calls. I deleted the phone and email addy.

With 10.5 you will get a more up to date OS that will run more recent software. Safari and other browsers will be way more up to date with todays web. 1GB ram will run 10.5 but I would recommend upgrading to at least 2GB.
QUOTE Thanks
ZenZenPup

ZenZenPup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Never put your info like that in a public post. You will get spammers all over your email and maybe some phone calls. I deleted the phone and email addy.

With 10.5 you will get a more up to date OS that will run more recent software. Safari and other browsers will be way more up to date with todays web. 1GB ram will run 10.5 but I would recommend upgrading to at least 2GB.
NEVER is not quite strong enough a warning when YAHOO! pulls the cached version of the original post with his phone number for all to see...

Getting the 1GB of RAM to add to the G5 is one thing, but it's barely going to make a dent in his user experience. Consider that the very bottom of the Geekbench totem poll is a PowerMac G5 (1000), even with a decent video card it's a crapshoot as to whether or not it's time to start looking at MacMinis as a viable alternative. Spend another how much to get an OS that's BARELY still alive - it's no exaggeration. Only OS X 10.5.x updates, security updates, iTunes, Safari and Microsoft Office 2008 and lower are going to get serious treatment anymore. The latest Security Update came on July 9, 2011 - along with a Java update...

1.6GHz.... hmmmm… 10.4.x is dead. Using it is an open invitation to whatever security holes that cannot be patched. I'm sorry. But it's just a bad investment all around. I've got a PowerMac G4 MDD and I've already written it's obituary. It's just a matter of time...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Excuse me. It's not MY fault the info is cached. The warning was justified.

Also he bought the machine, Telling him it's no good does not help him.

Geek bench to me means nothing. Doing basic computing will work ok on that system.

And the way apple is going making their OS not run on a 3 year old Mac, every mac will go down the path of your G4 very soon.
QUOTE Thanks
ZenZenPup

Quote:
Excuse me. It's not MY fault the info is cached. The warning was justified.

Also he bought the machine, Telling him it's no good does not help him.

Geek bench to me means nothing. Doing basic computing will work ok on that system.

And the way apple is going making their OS not run on a 3 year old Mac, every mac will go down the path of your G4 very soon.

The first part was not directed AT you, about the cached version... it was to the poster, k?

Second, he's going to throw more money and time at an issue that's going to cost him more money and time whether he likes it or not. It's NOT a "bad' decision. It's a "that's the way it is decision". Not tell him? What good does that do except make him feel worse when he hits the PPC DOA wall...

I know a Mac user who refuses even to use OS X at all. She's going to keep OS 9, never update, never buy anything new and never change. Her decision, just like his. But, he asked. She doesn't want to know.

Third, basic computer work, yes. Certainly. Just don't ask what you're missing. If he doesn't need anything new, anything updated, then he's got what he needs, and EOS.
The EOL for the G4 passed along time ago. It's on life support as it is and that only means that it's a good (but noisy) bookend to the PC I had to build waiting for the $$$ to get the Mac I want. $4000 was not on hand, so Windows 8 it is until then.

One good thing about this PC in comparison. I know what to expect for the $$$ I'll have to pay. If an i7 Intel Mac cannot beat my AMD PC for twice the price, then a Mac Mini is just fine for the time being. I've got dozens of Mac apps I need and use all the time. They're going to get used.
QUOTE Thanks
festus12macfms

Quote:

Thank you. I'm new to Mac and this is my first 'bout' with forums. I will take advice reference putting my email, phone number, etc. Will take advice.
*Reference the 10.5; yes I will get but anyone have advice for the least expensive route! I've stretched my budget; maybe someone has a good used CD disc for a low price Also, will ensure I will purchase additional memory to have minimum 2GB +.
Edwin
QUOTE Thanks
festus12macfms

As noted earlier, I have a Pwr Mac G5 1.6GB ordered and will take advice of those that responded to my earlier post's.
I'm currently using a Pwr mac G4, MDD 1.75RAM, 40GB HD. Okay, don't laugh! I like it but it does have it's share of problems. The one that plagues me the most deals with printing. I do a lot of printing and print on both sides to save paper; space. When I select an item to print, if I attempt to choose page number or range, as soon as I click on the box, the printer dialog box disappears plus my browser (Safari, Firefox) shuts down! I have to reopen and start all over. This happens regardless what printer I select and at any time the computer is on (eliminating a heat problem). Anyone have a cure? Thanks. EDWIN. <festus12macfms>
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Edwin Thoma, Sr
I don't mean to be negative...but other than the water-cooled Powermac G5 versions...from performance standpoint...the 1.6ghz Powermac G5 was probably the worst Powermac model made (has a number of performance crippling features).

Unless you got a REALLY good deal on this computer...I would have recommended nothing less than a 1.8 or 2.0ghz dual processor Powermac G5.

As far as the benefits of upgrading to OS 10.5 Leopard. It's the newest OS version this computer will ever run...but it's going to cost you $80-$100 to get a 10.5 install disk (used on e-Bay).

Good luck,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
festus12macfms

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I don't mean to be negative...but other than the water-cooled Powermac G5 versions...from performance standpoint...the 1.6ghz Powermac G5 was probably the worst Powermac model made (has a number of performance crippling features).

Unless you got a REALLY good deal on this computer...I would have recommended nothing less than a 1.8 or 2.0ghz dual processor Powermac G5.

As far as the benefits of upgrading to OS 10.5 Leopard. It's the newest OS version this computer will ever run...but it's going to cost you $80-$100 to get a 10.5 install disk (used on e-Bay).

Good luck,

- Nick
Thank you for info. I will attempt to sell G4 & G5 and purchase a Pro Mac, al-be-it will cost $1000 plus. While I'm at it, the G5 cost me $170 + $40 S/H [$210]. It has OS X 10.4.11, 80GB HD, 1-GB Ram, & includes a Mac 17" LCD OSX Monitor, Mac White Keyboard & Mouse, USB Wireless WiFi adapter, & Microsoft Office 2004 . I don't do movies, won't have many photos, etc. Your opinion please of my purchase! Edwin.
QUOTE Thanks
ZenZenPup

Quote:
Thank you for info. I will attempt to sell G4 & G5 and purchase a Pro Mac, al-be-it will cost $1000 plus. While I'm at it, the G5 cost me $170 + $40 S/H [$210]. It has OS X 10.4.11, 80GB HD, 1-GB Ram, & includes a Mac 17" LCD OSX Monitor, Mac White Keyboard & Mouse, USB Wireless WiFi adapter, & Microsoft Office 2004 . I don't do movies, won't have many photos, etc. Your opinion please of my purchase! Edwin.
Edwin,

Save yourself a lot of time, money and stress...

Get a Mac Mini, period. See what you can afford, buy whatever Mac Mini fits that budget, don't get MS Office yet. There are several very good Word Processors for Mac that cost either nothing, or next to nothing in comparison... LibreOffice… NeoOffice...Mellel… Nisus...iWork (which is at a discount for new Mac purchasers), Mariner Write... I'm sure I missed something here... a 20" dvi-compatible monitor NEW is $120... HP, etc...

Amazon.com: HP 2011x 20-Inch LED Monitor - Black: Computers & Accessories
Keep the 17" monitor as a 2nd display...

For $1,016, you get this:

2.5GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive
Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Wireless Keyboard - English

User's Guide (English)
QUOTE Thanks
festus12macfms

It really is not a money problem; I could afford to buy the Mac Pro latest edition! I just enjoy getting on an old(er) computer and getting on the Internet. I'm 70 & don't do movies, games, etc plus I have a MacBook Pro, Feb 2011, 13-1/2 that I like.
While I'm here, I'm interested in purchasing a 1-GB memory for the Power Mac G-5, 1.6GHz, that should arrive in a week., Also, have a PowerMac G4 MDD & PowerMac G4 Sawtooth. Both have OS 10.4.11. When I chat, I have no audio via "microphone: I have to use the mic from my webcam!!!Help...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
While I'm here, I'm interested in purchasing a 1-GB memory for the Power Mac G-5, 1.6GHz, that should arrive in a week.
If you've got plenty of money...and you just like messing around with the older Mac's...no problem.

Otherwise I would say buying 1gig of ram for this 1.6ghz Powermac G5 is throwing more $$$ into this "money pit". Upgrading old Mac's is really not cost effective. When you buy an old Mac...the ideal situation is to buy it already "loaded"...and let the previous owner invest the $$$ in upgrades.

You mentioned earlier that you paid something like $170 for this computer (with a monitor). In my opinion this was too much. Better "spec" Powermac G5's can be purchased for less than $170...and then buying 1 gig of ram for it (which isn't cheap)...is just sinking more money into this thing.

Now like I said...if you've got plenty of $$$ & you're having fun..no problems! But looking at things from strictly a financial standpoint...don't put any more $$$ into this computer.

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. I would have preferred that you would have purchased a dual processor 1.8 or 2.0ghz Powermac G5 with plenty of ram already in it...for less than $170.

The 1.6ghz PM G5 has:

- only a single processor
- a slow motherboard design
- a max ram of 4 gig (other PM G5's can have as much as 8gig of ram).

And I've seen folks get them for as little as $100...with $150 -$175 more the norm. 1.6ghz PM G5's sell for less.

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

If you think that I'm pulling your leg...here's a 1.6ghz Powermac G5 (just like yours) with 2 gig of ram for $112 (Buy It Now, on e-Bay):

3485 / Apple Powermac G5, PowerPCG5 1.6GHz, 2GB, 160GB, DVD-CDRW, Mac OSX 10.5.1 | eBay

And here's a Powermac G5 2.0ghz (dual processor) with 4gig of ram for $125:

APPLE M9747LL/A APPLE POWER MACINTOSH G5 2.0 DP 0718908377765 | eBay

...the seller of this has 10 of these available!!!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

The 1.6 G5 tower was not the best that is for sure. I had figured he was doing it for fun like I do and that was why he was willing to put a few $$$ into the system. I do agree one of the Dual G5's would have been more fun to mess with and a lot faster.

I had seen a lot of reports of issues with some Dual 1.8's also. I think a sweet spot was the original Dual CPU (Not Dual Core) 2.0 Ghz Power Mac G5. Had a friend with one and it was an Amazing system when it came out and still works fine.
QUOTE Thanks
festus12macfms

Gentlemen, Thanks for the information. I negated to say the 1.6GHz G5 I have coming has 4-256MHz cards in it already (1 GHz) and I wish to install a single 1-GHz to give me 1.5GHz (I'll remove one of the 256). I'll wait to receive my 1.6GHz G5 and see if it meet's my needs. I'm on an old G-4 MDD 10.4.11 with 1.75GHz Memory, Dual 867 MHz Processor which I enjoy, but can't do Google video chat or google talk. Will the G5 have the same problem since it also has pc processor vice intel? Also, with my g-4 which I have the latest Adobe Flash, there are some videos I can't see (on facebook, etc) That say's I need the latest version of flash. Will this also exist with the G5? Just for what it's worth, I just like to dabble with old computers. I'm 70, retired USN, & married to a 25-yr old Filipino who resides in the Philippines, We have a 2-yr old son & 2-mo old daughter. She uses a new Sony Vaio laptop to communicate and I also have a MacBook Pro, Feb 2011. I spend about 50% of the year here and 50% there. It would be improbable to ship a G5 there but I wish I could! Thanks' feller's; I'll let you know my decision(s) after I receive my G5. I'll be leaving for the Philippines in a couple month's. One last comment: any single men out there looking for a wonderful, beautiful girlfriend/wife, let me know. i have several that want me to find them a boyfriend. They make good wife's and unlike American girls, do not cheat! Later... Edwin
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HDD cloning | Finder Help »