New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

missing software DVD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dalfrednix

dalfrednix is on a distinguished road

iMAC for sale, but owner says that the software DVD is missing; tried contacting but no answer so thought I would ask here.

Is there a DVD that comes with the iMAC and if so what does it contain? If it is not with the computer where can I get the files on the DVD? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

It depends on how old the iMac is. If it's an iMac that shipped with Lion (OS X 10.7), then no, it will have no discs.

Any older Mac should come with 2 "system discs". One contains the OS and diagnostics, the other will contain the iLife Suite and other ancillary software (iPhoto, Garageband, iWeb, iDVD, iMovie, etc).

You can purchase replacement discs from Apple, but it's not the easiest process in the world.

Generally speaking, you can subtract about $150 from the value of the machine if it doesn't come with the discs. If the seller doesn't want to do that, I'd look elsewhere.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dalfrednix

dalfrednix is on a distinguished road

go to item # 310403668974 and see if this looks legit; seller says owner did not tell him anything more than what he has listed on eBAY. I assume this is a 2011 model. Please advise.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Yep, that is the latest model. It may have shipped without discs.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems with Macbook Pro (Late 2007), efi 1.5.3, and Bootcamp | File copy performance from Windows network »