New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help! Recover overwritten Illustrator file

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

adrienne_15

adrienne_15 is on a distinguished road

I accidentally didn't save changes to an Illustrator file (about two weeks ago) and I just realized it when I opened the document today. I desperately need the file that I didn't save. Is it possible to recover it somehow? I tried referring to Time Machine but it apparently isn't set up. And I tried downloading an Illustrator Recovery Toolbox but I couldn't find a download that worked with Mac (even though several downloads said they were for Mac). PLEASE HELP!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The changes to the file you "didn't save" do not exist because they disappeared when you shut down or rebooted your machine or exited Illustrator. They existed only in the Mac's memory while the Mac was turned on and while Illustrator was active. Sorry, but there is no way to recover those changes.
QUOTE Thanks
G-Mo

G-Mo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: See signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Not that this will help or make you feel any better, but I would certainly use this opportunity to set up Time Machine so that you never have this awful experience happen ever again.
Even with Time Machine, they would have the same experience again. If you don't save the changes, Time Machine can't back them up. Time Machine does not backup memory.

Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) 2.3GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, Crucial M4 256GB SSD
MacBook Air (11-inch, Late 2010); iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010)
iPad 2 16GB; iPhone 4S 16GB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac G4 MDD Problems | Using all 8 Cores in Logic »