New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook Pro error

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

riskyandakkio

riskyandakkio is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: i see fine, no spectacles for mee!

this morning i received a message telling me to
'[I]You need to restart your computer.Hold down the power button until it turns off, then press the power button again. [/I

It was then repeated again in four different languages. I did what it said and upon doing some research I looked up the kernel panic error in utlities-console and recorded this error message. Can anyone tell me what this error means or what has gone wrong?

28/05/12 10:17:59 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[105]
(com.apple.Finder[111]) Job appears to have crashed: Abort trap

28/05/12 10:18:00 AM ReportCrash[158] Saved crash report for Finder[111] version 10.6.8 (10.6.8) to /Users/phoebe/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Finder_2012-05-28-101800_Phoebe-Pincuss-MacBook-Pro.crash
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What you experienced is known as a "kernel panic". Please read through the following article on how to resolve kernel panics. LINK
QUOTE Thanks
riskyandakkio

riskyandakkio is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: i see fine, no spectacles for mee!

from reading that article i think the error was cause from:
- Insufficient RAM and available hard disk space
because a message appeared saying something about having insufficient hard drive space. How can I prevent this from happening again? Is there any way to clear some hard drive space?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

There are various ways to clear hard drive space, but I always hesitate to recommend arbitrarily deleting things. What I recommend is this: If your hard drive is loaded with photos, music, movies, and other media files, that you move them to an external hard drive. Apple has directions for moving the iTunes and iPhoto library to an external source.

However, ultimately the best thing to do is replace the hard drive in your Mac with a larger one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Kernel Panics On All 3 iMacs? | rename multiple folders at one go »