New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Time Machine backup fails

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LadySunshine

LadySunshine is on a distinguished road

Hi, all,

I have a 17" MacBook Pro running 10.5.8 (Leopard?) My ISP e-mailed me and said I might have that bot, so I updated everything and ran the script in Terminal. It said I was OK. But I'm still having problems, so I bought a Seagate GoFlex 1 TB HD to back up my MBP. I'm pretty sure I formatted the drive as Mac OS Extended Journaled. I ran Time Machine but it wouldn't back up to the drive so I manually copied files to it.

I know Time Machine won't update manual backups, so I partitioned the drive and I KNOW I formatted it as Mac OS Extended Journaled. It still won't work. TM lets me choose the new volume, and it starts to back up. There are 149.5 GBs of data to back up but it only did about 2.4 GBs and then I got an error that says "Time Machine Error Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while copying files to the backup volume." There are over 500 GBs of space on the partition.

Does anyone know why Time Machine won't back up my system?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/insight you can give.

Micki
QUOTE Thanks
LadySunshine

I'm sorry. I accidently posted this twice. I didn't realize it had posted before.
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Most likely a permissions issue.

Open the Console in /Applications/Utilities

Select the System log and search for backupd in the top right search box. This might give you more of an idea where it fails.
QUOTE Thanks
LadySunshine

Thanks. That was cool.

I think I've got the problem licked. What I think happened was the trash wound up in the Time Machine volume on the Backup drive. I erased the Time Machine partition and repaired the other partition. It seems to be working. TM has backed up over 15 GB so far, which is farther than it ever got before. :-D

Thanks again for your help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Desktop doesn't fit screen | 2T external for Time Machine & 1T drive for Data »