New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Brand new MBP Laggy

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rsherid

rsherid is infamous around these parts
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.

I'm using a 2011 MacBook Pro (13") w/ OS X (10.6.8) that includes 2.7 Ghz Intel i7 and 4GB RAM. It seems laggy even with minimal programs open - iTunes, Safari, Cog, etc.

The account I'm on is the one I imported from Time Machine - so essentially it's like I'm using my old MacBook. Could there be some corruption in there that is causing this? Should I format and start over - what about all my files from Time Machine?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

Open disk utility and repair disk permissions, if that does not work then try a software restore. Is it always laggy?
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitjetta View Post
Open disk utility and repair disk permissions, if that does not work then try a software restore. Is it always laggy?
- For disk permissions, I clicked "Repair Disk Permissions" - a ton of files came up in the log. Now what? Is it done or do I need to do more?

- Is a software restore a clean install of OS X? I could do that, but then what about Time Machine? Will it not carry over the corrupted OS?
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Before you reinstall everything there are a few things you can try. How much free space is available on the drive?

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

93GB

For disk permissions, I clicked "Repair Disk Permissions" - a ton of files came up in the log. Now what? Is it done or do I need to do more?
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Is it done or do I need to do more? Or does OS X fix while scanning? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Not sure if this is a related issue, but my web browsing through Google Chrome has also been lagging. Sites I visit daily suddenly get a "Sending Request..." that takes forever to load. I have to turn off/turn on Airport to kick it back into gear. I don't think it's a connection issue because my iMac runs smooth and rarely has this problem.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

You need to try repairing the hard drive, not just repairing permissions.
Use one of these methods:
Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Downloading OS X on USB? | SPSS image rendering error »