New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Unable to remove login items

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Iamlost

Iamlost is on a distinguished road

Unable to remove login items (Revert after reboot) iOX10.5 iMac
I am having issues and permanent encounter in having my removed login items reappearing after reboot. I have very MANY of the same programs in 'open at Login accounts' eg: Messenger,Safari,Skype,Evernote,Dropbox,antivirus, but they are listed dozens of times. in this 'open at login' area.

Here's the steps I have taken:
1) Open Setting, Account Preferences, Click a program, click the -delete
2) Remove some login items (with or without unlocking the lock, doesn't seem make a difference, tried both)
3) Login items are now fewer
4) Reboot
5) voila, the removed login items are still loaded and displayed in login item tab.

How does one solve this? Tried to google, but....
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Login or startup items which are found in System Preferences, Accounts, Login Items, is just one place where programs can start up from. You should go there first and remove all the login items you don't want. Unlock the lock, remove the login items and then close the lock.

However, if a program is starting up from elsewhere, it will continue to startup each time you boot or reboot.
QUOTE Thanks
Iamlost

You say:"if a program is starting up from elsewhere, it will continue to startup each time you boot or reboot."
How will I know if this is the reason for my problem? Is there some way for me to check? Also, I do unlock the lock and try to delete all the login items. I'd expect them to disappear instantly, but it takes about 4 minutes for 6 items to disappear. And I have 100's. Dozens of the same names, but only some of them 'checked'. I'm baffled.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If you have as you say, hundreds of startup items listed, then I suggest a reinstall of OS X. Something is very wrong with either your account or the system.
QUOTE Thanks
Iamlost

I will re-install the OSX and see if this makes any difference. Thanks for your time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook G4 | Mac apps won't open »