New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Changing a folder image

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hojkoff_101

hojkoff_101 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM

I'm trying to change the images of folders on my Mac (running Snow Leopard). When I drop the image I want to change it to I just get the generic icon for an image, like below:

Any ideas why the actual image isn't been shown?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
AppleCider

AppleCider will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB

What works for me is go actually open up the image in preview, select it all, and do Command-C. then go to the image file and click on the small icon up top so that it's highlighted. then just paste.

... If one falls flat on their face, at least they were moving in the right direction...

Forward...
QUOTE Thanks
hojkoff_101

hojkoff_101 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleCider View Post
What works for me is go actually open up the image in preview, select it all, and do Command-C. then go to the image file and click on the small icon up top so that it's highlighted. then just paste.
Worked first time. Thanks very much for that. Strange how drag and drop doesn't work.....

ah well, got it sorted now!

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
AppleCider

AppleCider will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hojkoff_101 View Post
Worked first time. Thanks very much for that. Strange how drag and drop doesn't work.....

ah well, got it sorted now!

Thanks again!
Yeah, Its because it looks for either an image file or an icon file. When you drag a file, it takes the icon of that file, and puts it as the icon for the new one. I'm not sure how, but I believe you can set it up (like mine is) to display a small preview of an image instead of the file type icon. You might try hitting Command J when at the desktop, and going from there.

... If one falls flat on their face, at least they were moving in the right direction...

Forward...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Foreign Characters | Unable to upload photos, chat, see messages etc. in Facebook. »