New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Random website downloads when clicking on common links in Safari

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Seaspider1

Seaspider1 is on a distinguished road

Recently, on occasion, my Safari will download a webpage when I click on a link instead of directing me to the page. For instance, I wanted to watch a Youtube video, so I clicked on a search result (already on the Youtube site) and my downloads window came up and downloaded "watch.html" which I later discovered that every video on youtube has its own "watch.html". Also, when I registered for the Forums here today, it downloaded two files: "showthread.php.html" and "register.php.html". Does anyone have any ideas as to why this happens? It occurs randomly in short happenings. Any help is much appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
madwolfe

madwolfe is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8

Are you pressing down the Option key at any point? This will cause you to download the link, not access it. I do it from time to time myself, missing the command key.
QUOTE Thanks
Seaspider1

Seaspider1 is on a distinguished road

No, I couldn't be hitting the Option key because I use a wireless USB mouse instead of the trackpad most of the time. When it does happen, it almost feels like the computer lags for a few seconds like it's processing something, but there aren't any other applications open to manage other than Finder and Safari–Safari being the only open window.
QUOTE Thanks
crishanelle

crishanelle is on a distinguished road

I was wondering if you ever found the cause or a resolution to this problem? I am having the exact same issue and it is incredibly frustrating. Would love to know what is causing it and how to fix it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I upgrade this Mac to Mountain Lion? | Encrypting without new user creation? »