New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Oops...20GB file buildup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tannerdsilva

tannerdsilva is on a distinguished road

Hello. I'm a (semi-new) Mac developer. I've been working on a component to my app that - in order to function properly - needs to download a fairly large file from the internet. I thought this file would be stored in memory (and would be removed once the app no longer needed it), but it's actually stored in the /var folder. I've been running and debugging this component for numerous days, which means roughly 20GB of unnecessary files have built up. Of course, I quickly changed my code to remove this file once it's no longer needed, but now I have a big, single 20GB file on my system that I must get rid of. I have a 64GB MBA, so I need all the space I can get. I know I shouldn't ever mess with the /var folder. Any ideas as to how I can hunt these files down and remove them? I have a whole bunch of custom stuff on my system, so I really don't want to do a clean install of Lion. Thanks ahead of time!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Since you know the exact file you're looking to get rid of, this is an occasion where you can use a third-party tool to remove it pretty easily.

I like Grand Perspective (free), but there are similar tools like Disk Inventory X (also free). Both do the same thing -- provide you with a visual representation of the files on your HD. Spotting the 20GB rogue files should be very simple, and you can delete them (and only them!) from within the program. Restart and all good.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

There is also Daisy Disk that does a excellent job with a good visual of your HD

Someone might no of a Terminal command as well to find that file and trash it from within.
Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

There's nothing in Terminal that gives you the reassurance of a VISUAL map of the files.

I've had WAY too many stories of people going into folders like /var and using "rm" higgeldy-piggeldy with DISASTROUS results.

Plus, I'm lazy. Color-coded visual file map for free with easy, safe deleting FTW IMO.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
There's nothing in Terminal that gives you the reassurance of a VISUAL map of the files.

I've had WAY too many stories of people going into folders like /var and using "rm" higgeldy-piggeldy with DISASTROUS results.

Plus, I'm lazy. Color-coded visual file map for free with easy, safe deleting FTW IMO.
I agree completely, but there are some that swear by the Terminal command. For a developer it could be for them.

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
tannerdsilva

tannerdsilva is on a distinguished road

Well...Yes. I actually used daisy disk to spot this file. Finding it isn't the problem. I'm not sure if the system (and other apps) have thrown important files in that huge file. Because my disk is only 64GB, I watch my files closely. I know this file was 5GB before I debugged this part of my app. I only want to delete the files I downloaded. I plan on upgrading to a MacBook Pro this summer when they're released, and I don't wan't this going on to my new system (I plan on transferring my files and not "starting fresh"). Thats my problem. Any ideas? I guess I can clone my drive, delete it, and if something fails, just restore back...

This is what it looks like in DaisyDisk. It's the entire orange section.
Screen Shot 2012-05-24 at 11.31.28 PM.png
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Your last sentence contains the answer you are looking for.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .tcshrc not being executed when terminal opens | startup dish transfer »