New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

littlemary

littlemary is on a distinguished road

Hi! I am a newbie mac user. I have a iBook G4, 1.2 ghz processor, 512 MB RAM, 30 GB HD, with Mac OS X 10.4.11 and Safari 4.1.3. Will QuarkXpress 4.0 work on this computer? The reason I am asking is the OS requirements for QuarkXpress 4.0 is Mac OS 9 and later.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Wow, talk about a question from the mists of time!!

The answer to your question is no, QX 6 was the first version to natively support OS X. You could run QX 4 under the Classic environment if you have that set up (I now can't even remember whether Classic was killed off in OS 10.4 or 10.5).
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Classic is supported on PowerPC-based Macs running versions of Mac OS X up to v10.4 Tiger, but is not supported on v10.5 Leopard and later, nor on Intel-based Macs running any version of Mac OS X.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_(Mac_OS_X)

I have been searching for the requirements for that version of Quark and can't quite pin them down but I think you're OK there. If possible make sure you are using the last OS 9 (9.2.2?) release since it addressed some compatibility issues.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
littlemary

Thanks so much for the information.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You're welcome. Hope that helps.

QUOTE Thanks
littlemary

Just wondering . . . how do I tell if my ibook G4 also has also Classic or OS 9.2.2? I know it has OSX 10.4.11.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

While booted into OS X open System Preferences. I believe there will be a preference pane there called Classic that controls how it runs.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Wow, talk about a question from the mists of time!!
Ha ha...I was thinking the same thing!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
littlemary

Hey Slydude, thanks so much for sticking with me and all the info!

I did as you suggested went to System Preferences and Classic. However, it appears that I do not have a Classic system folder. It looks like I will have to install Mac OS 9 and updates.

Just thought I would let you know my status.

I will try to find the download at the apple store. Do you have any other suggestions?

Once again thanks so much for helping out this newbie.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

You're welcome. I don't think the disc needed for Classic is in the App store. I think Classic requires either an OS 9.1 disc at least. I'll check to be sure. Last time I looked you could still find those on eBay from time to time. I think I even still have one.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« VLC & Skype won't work on 10.7.3 & 10.7.4 | Old Finder in Lion? »