New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Lion OSX on Macbook 2.0Ghz - good idea or bad idea?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OM2

OM2 is on a distinguished road

I've got a macbook 2.0Ghz
I want to install Lion OSX
I've asked Apple and they've told me that yes it will run

Just wanted to know if anyone has installed on the same system?
Is it painfully unbearably slow?

The ONLY thing I want it for is developing iPhone/iPad apps
I don't need for ANYTHING else!

From what I understand, I HAVE to have Lion OSX to develop for the latest versions of iPhone

Thanks

Omar
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Do you by chance have the late 2007 Macbook with Santa Rosa chipset and 2.0 Ghz C2D? If so, running Lion here on mine and it's pretty snappy.

How much Ram is in your Macbook? I upgraded to 4GB. With 2GB Lion would have ran out of RAM with a few things open.

http://www.lowendmac.com/macbook/mac...rosa-2007.html
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

There are two 2GHz MBP the 'Yonah' Core Duo MacBook 1.1 model which will nor run lion, and the 'Merom' Core 2 Duo 2.1 model which will so you will need the Core 2 Duo model.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
OM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Do you by chance have the late 2007 Macbook with Santa Rosa chipset and 2.0 Ghz C2D? If so, running Lion here on mine and it's pretty snappy.
i replied to your post - not sure why my post hasn't appeared
i have a 2007 2.0Ghz C2D - i looked at the link you gave - i don't think i have the santa rosa

Quote:
How much Ram is in your Macbook? I upgraded to 4GB. With 2GB Lion would have ran out of RAM with a few things open.
i've been told by apple that the max i can increase to is 2GB
what do u mean "ran out"? will it just crash!?
so if i run office + adobe photoshop + final cut pro and watch a dvd at the same time it will crash?
the ONLY thing i need from it is app development - if i can achieve this, i'm happy
(the next goal is to get a new mac laptop - but my budget doesn't go that far)
QUOTE Thanks
OM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
There are two 2GHz MBP the 'Yonah' Core Duo MacBook 1.1 model which will nor run lion, and the 'Merom' Core 2 Duo 2.1 model which will so you will need the Core 2 Duo model.
thanks for the reply
i've just had a look a the link given by @dtravis7

it says:

Quote:
requires Mac OS X 10.5 to 10.7 Lion, not compatible with 10.8 Mountain Lion
NOT being compatible with v 10.8 will be a problem for me
i don't know why - but apple require u to have the latest OSX to develop for the latest version of the IOS

let me know what u think
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

First, the URL was for my model Macbook. You still have told us the exact specs of yours so we can see what model you have. Is yours a Core Duo or Core2Duo? Makes a large difference.

On the Mountain Lion part, a lot of MacBooks are being cut out of running ML when it comes out.

On the Ram issue, What does Windows do when it runs out of RAM? Swaps to the hard drive and gets DOG SLOW. Same issue and if you have a machine that only takes 2GB RAM and run all you mentioned, it will slow way down.

Please give us the exact specs and model so we can determine how much RAM for sure you can install. Some MacBooks that are listed at 2GB Max can go to 3GB.
QUOTE Thanks
OM2

Quote:
First, the URL was for my model Macbook. You still have told us the exact specs of yours so we can see what model you have. Is yours a Core Duo or Core2Duo? Makes a large difference.

On the Mountain Lion part, a lot of MacBooks are being cut out of running ML when it comes out.

On the Ram issue, What does Windows do when it runs out of RAM? Swaps to the hard drive and gets DOG SLOW. Same issue and if you have a machine that only takes 2GB RAM and run all you mentioned, it will slow way down.

Please give us the exact specs and model so we can determine how much RAM for sure you can install. Some MacBooks that are listed at 2GB Max can go to 3GB.
thanks for the reply. apologies - i thought the link gave just the one laptop
it's definitely a core 2 duo. see this screen shot i took with my mobile:

i'm 100% that 2GB is the max that can be installed. apple have confirmed this. AND, i can't seem to find anywhere that sells the memory where they give more than 2GB (2 x 1GB)

regarding slowing down - i can live with this

ALSO: Lion OSX ver 10.8 is not out yet! that's actually good news for me
it means for the moment, i am OK
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Did you check OWC?

I believe this is your machine and if so, it will take 3GB no matter what Apple says.

13" MacBook Core 2 (Late 2006)
QUOTE Thanks
OM2

Quote:
Did you check OWC?

I believe this is your machine and if so, it will take 3GB no matter what Apple says.

13" MacBook Core 2 (Late 2006)
i haven't seen a 2gb chip anywhere though?
+ i've ordered 2gb off a seller on ebay!
i'll still consider selling 1GB in return for a 2gb

let me know

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

OWC 53IM2DDR3GBK 3.0GB (1GB+2GB Kit) PC2-5300 DDR2... in stock at OWC
QUOTE Thanks
OM2

thanks for the reply
i'm in the uk - so no good for me
i did a search on ebay and only found one: 2GB DDR2 667MHZ PC5300 PC2-5300 LAPTOP RAM MEMORY 200 PIN BRAND NEW DANE-ELEC | eBay

EDIT: found this on amazon: ByteStor 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz SO-DIMM Notebooks: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

QUESTION: why can't i get 2 of these and get 4GB memory?
i'm guessing theres a good reason for this?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

You can put in 2x 2GB but due to chipset limitations you will only get 3GB. I am told it will work though.
QUOTE Thanks
OM2

i'll look into it
having 3GB instead of 2GB how much 'better' will this make things for me?
yes: i know that might be a hard question answer - as it depends on the usage! any sort of personal judgement would be helpful

getting 4GB might be better if the cost of 1GB is nearly the same price
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Interesting OM2 that both OWC and Mactracker both specify that model as handling 2 x 1GB modules only. Normally both will advise if more memory will work with a model. And if 3GB does work, it will of course make the machine a little more responsive, but do not expect the performance to be equal to a faster processor.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Having lost the plot a bit here, I think I'll chime in.

1. I had a 2.16GHz MacBook (the BlackBook) running Lion on 3GB (2x2GB) of RAM -- you can PUT 4GB in but it will only see a maximum of 3.3GB (and report just 3GB). Lion ran as well as Snow Leopard did, perfectly fine for my uses.

2. The poor graphics "card" (chipset) in those machines is the real problem. Google Earth, 1080p video, most serious games? Not gonna happen.

3. Other than that, mine was a little workhorse and I loved it. The only reason I replaced it was that I wanted more RAM and a better graphics card -- and the battery was dying -- and I had some money lying around at the time. It all came together, you might say. The MBP I got to replace it has 8GB of RAM and a somewhat better graphics chipset, but it came cheap and works great.

Anyway, for programming and app dev you should be fine on that machine. It's not the best choice but it's the most affordable one.

You ARE going to need to step up to something newer (2008 or more recent) pretty soon, so I sincerely hope your iOS app does well for you!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cannot access shared folder on Snow Leo MacMini from Lion MacMini | Problem with pages »