New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

lion now, or wait a while for stable ML?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Groovetube

Groovetube has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Retina MBP 2.7 768ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff

ok, now I'm at the point I want to go to lion. CS6 is out, it seems to work ok on my firewire lion install, a few friends have said they thought lion at .4 seems to be relatively stable.

So I was thinking of moving my lion install into my main drive. But a buddy, says, wait because mountain lion is coming out. Flip. But generally, with any OS, I always wait until at least .3 before considering it. So, that could be around october at least if ML were available next month.

Reasons for going to lion are, get used to the new OS, iCloud, newer xcode is lion only, and a few other reasons I can't seem to remember right now.

What are the thoughts.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

If you want to wait until July (my guestimate) then go for Mountain Lion, if you need those services now then download Lion

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

Mac Specs: Retina MBP 2.7 768ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff

I just read that ML isn't due out til late summer possibly early fall. Since I always wait til .3ish to evaluate it's stableness (is that a word?) I'll do lion. Wish me luck. Last time wasn't pretty.
QUOTE Thanks
CebuCity

CebuCity will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G

Good Things Happen For People Who Wait!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The only problem you are going to get from the upgrade is the loss of any PPC only apps you might have

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

no problem for me.

Just stability, and flawless running is all I need.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And if ML goes the same way as Lion downloading, you will probably need Lion instilled as the stepping stone, like SL to get Lion from the App Store.

Lion is fast and rock solid. On a MBP suggest you do a clean install rater than an upgrade.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

I did a clean install on a firewire drive.

Now my main problem is figuring out how to clone it back to my main ssd drive along with the new recovery partition (what the **** is this now...)

I have a paid version of super duper I've used for years, it doesn't seem to support this. I see CCC seems to, (and incremental now??)

Not sure how to proceed best here.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

As a suggestion do not clone the SSD do a clean install and then update.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

I have not heard this, I have always used cloning to hard drives with no trouble.

Aren't bits bits?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Cloning platter hard drives causes no problems. OWC technicians are adamant their SSD not be cloned as it slows the performance of the SSD. Others argue this however in the PC world there is some belief in this also:-

Do not clone your HDD onto the SSD....: PC Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

I did a clean install and now filling it up.

But this now disturbs me. I've had the creature comforts of simply cloning, and popping it down on my main drive when I need to. Now I can no longer do this?

I have a mac retailer guy who is a long time tech strongly disagreeing with this for macs. I decided to be safe for now, But I'd really like to know definitively about this.

Because it's so much easier to install a new os, take a week or 3 to install configure everything and test, then clone it back when you're ready rather than clean install. That just plain blows.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Do it however you wish just be aware that this can cause slowdown, not saying it will mind you. Some SSD manufacturers, including Crucial and Seagate, provide their own cloning software. OWC do not recommend cloning for their range of SSD's.

QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
And if ML goes the same way as Lion downloading, you will probably need Lion instilled as the stepping stone, like SL to get Lion from the App Store.
I believe the only reason SL was required to get Lion was because Lion was only available via the Mac App Store and the Mac App Store was first added to the OS with SL.
QUOTE Thanks
Groovetube

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Do it however you wish just be aware that this can cause slowdown, not saying it will mind you. Some SSD manufacturers, including Crucial and Seagate, provide their own cloning software. OWC do not recommend cloning for their range of SSD's.
Yes I read this. It seems odd to me, because generally when you place a clone over, it defragments the clone in the process. In fact, it's often been suggested to clone, then zero your drive, and put the clone back down on your zeroed drive to defrag. I've done this process and it does indeed speed everything up. SO I wonder about this. I'm not an expert here, but the idea I have to buy another ssd to clone etc seems odd. ANyway I did a fresh install for now to be sure. I had major problems with lion soon after it came out, this time I want to be sure to give it every chance to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
I believe the only reason SL was required to get Lion was because Lion was only available via the Mac App Store and the Mac App Store was first added to the OS with SL.
True. You can save the installer and install it on your other macs even if they don't have SL. (macs 'under your control' that is)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« reinstalling lion without an internet connection or optical drive (Mac book air) | Macbook Pro (Intel), OSX Lion, Microsoft Exchange 2003 »