Ripping Software Onto an External Hard Drive

Hey I have a bunch of software (applications) on my macbook that I'd like to put onto an external hard drive. If possible, how do I do this?

To clarify, I'd like to be able to take the programs and use them on another mac by transferring them onto an external hard drive.

Thanks!

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12 View Post
    Hey I have a bunch of software (applications) on my macbook that I'd like to put onto an external hard drive. If possible, how do I do this?

To clarify, I'd like to be able to take the programs and use them on another mac by transferring them onto an external hard drive.

Thanks!
    If you own the programs use the install media to reinstall, or redownload from the site of purchase.
    If you don't own the programs we are done here. We do not support or allow discussions of software piracy.

This thread will be closed.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12 View Post

Thanks!
    Many Mac software packages are self-contained in a .app file. These would be programs where installation involved dragging and dropping the icon into the Applications folder. In cases where that's true, you could just drag and drop the icon from the Applications folder right onto the external hard drive.

Other programs - particularly those that had an installation wizard - are not that simple. They'll need to have their installers run again in order for them to work - mostly because they modify the OS directories or place files in areas other than the Applications directory and/or the user's home folder.

More complex products like Microsoft Office, Adobe CSx, etc typically work this way. In this case, you'll need the original installation media to reinstall the product, directing it to the external (if it allows you to). And even then, you'll not be able to port the product between more than one machine as it will only have the needed support files on the machine with which it was installed.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
    If you own the programs use the install media to reinstall, or redownload from the site of purchase.
    If you don't own the programs we are done here. We do not support or allow discussions of software piracy.

This thread will be closed.
    You're right, but he didn't make mention of any commercial/copyrighted software. So, I'm going to reopen this one provided that the conversation doesn't drift in that direction.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information