New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How To: Brand new OS X install on erased HD.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PrettyCharlie

PrettyCharlie is on a distinguished road

Hi All.

CONTEXT:
I recently did a major nuke on my bloated, heavily duplicated externals. (Araxis Find Duplicate Files is pretty sweet, btw.) Anyway, it was so addictively cathartic that I decided to lighten the load on my old, 1st gen MacBook Pro by wiping it and doing a fresh OS X install. I never considered that it's a hand me down that I never needed to purchase Lion for.

THE PROBLEM:
'Recovery' will only install online and requires you to log in with your Apple ID. When I do, I get a message saying that my ID is not listed as the OS X purchaser (presumably just for this machine, as it recognizes my iMAC. Don't get me started on how I know this. Winks). The kicker is that it doesn't offer a way to purchase a new copy.

ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS:
I tried installing from a disk, but the recovery partition doesn't 'see' the hardware.

MY QUESTION:
How do I purchase a copy of OS X and associate it with this machine such that Recovery recognizes it?

Thanks, All. Your input is appreciated as always. <3
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyCharlie View Post
Anyway, it was so addictively cathartic that I decided to lighten the load on my old, 1st gen MacBook Pro by wiping it and doing a fresh OS X install. I never considered that it's a hand me down that I never needed to purchase Lion for.
If this is truly a 1st generation MacBook Pro...then you cannot install Lion (OS 10.7) on it. It does not meet the system requirements for Lion.

Quote:
'Recovery' will only install online and requires you to log in with your Apple ID. When I do, I get a message saying that my ID is not listed as the OS X purchaser (presumably just for this machine, as it recognizes my iMAC. Don't get me started on how I know this. Winks).
If you're referring to something illegal here...we do not support/discuss these sort of things at Mac-Forums.

Quote:
MY QUESTION:
How do I purchase a copy of OS X and associate it with this machine such that Recovery recognizes it?
I'm assuming that you're talking about Lion...because just saying "OS X"...can mean Mac OS X version 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7...or the upcoming Mac OS X 10.8. There are MANY versions of "OS X"!

Quote:
Thanks, All. Your input is appreciated as always. <3
How can you say "Your input is appreciated as always."...when this is your 1st post at Mac-Forums??

The bottom line is...if you truly have a 1st generation MacBook Pro...you cannot install Lion on it.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
PrettyCharlie

Hmm... I was told it was the first gen, but perhaps not because it was running Lion before I nuked it. As for legality, I suspect it was upgraded from Snow Leopard under less than legit circumstances. But as I said in my post, I want to legitimize this one - nothing nefarious.

I was sure I recently read that if you have one copy you can use it on any of your other personal machines, and my new iMAC came with a legit copy, of course. But as I said it would not download for me even using the AppleID I used in connection with that purchase, Or perhaps the one time purchase refers solely to the upgrade. Either way, the point is to get it on this machine one way or another, and am not worried about the cost of another one.
QUOTE Thanks
PrettyCharlie

I've just spoken with the previous owner, and he has given me the original disks. They're Tiger, I think. And yes, he upgraded to Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

For you to upgrade to Lion, if the machine can handle that OS, it will be necessary to install Tiger, purchase Snow Leopard from the Online store $29 and the after updating to OS X.6.8 go into the App Store and for $29 purchase your own copy of Lion. Or to save a lot of hassle, go to the Apple Store and buy Lion on a USB thumb drive for $69.00

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
PrettyCharlie

When I attempted to use the original disks, I get the same language choice dialog box followed by the statement that MAC OS X can't be installed on this machine. That's not a hardware issue, as it was running Lion until this morning.

Further digging indicates I need to install OS 23.1.1, the one you use when down-grading from Lion to SL. Anyone have any idea where I might find this?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Sounds like you got some silver grey discs not for the MB. They are extremely model specific.

And OS 23.1.1 is not an operating system but installer version.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

If you want Lion follow previous post.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
PrettyCharlie

Hiya. I'm confident these grey disks do belong to it, as the previous owner, pirate or not, is pretty straight with me. He's also well organized. I've also read the article you referenced. Suffice it to say that issue seems to have never been resolved, and I'm WAY past the 'hold down C while you boot' level recovery tactics.

I suspect the disks are not the problem, and it is more likely related to any non-backward compatible firmware updates made while I was using Lion. In the search for the elusive 23.1.1 (I challenge anyone to find it) I came across this: Mac OS X v10.6.7 Update for early 2011 MacBook Pro, which may be it.

I attempted to re-erase and reinstall in target mode, but only succeeded in removing the recovery partition. Now when I boot, regardless of what's in the drive or how I do it, all I get is a flashing grey folder icon containing a question mark. Next I deposited the installer dmg through target, but it's also invisible to the boot process. I can't seem to unpack/install anything in target mode either.

Suggestions please, folks?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What version of OSX is this installer?
QUOTE Thanks
PrettyCharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
What version of OSX is this installer?
I'd love to tell you, but I've got no more info that what I previously mentioned. Are you aware of more than the mythical 23.1.1? I'd love to know so I can try to root one out. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
PrettyCharlie

For those who like completion (winks), here is how this ended up: As it turned out, the update version 'seen' on this machine was apparently one higher than the original install disks, explaining why they would not work. In addition, any attempt to install the recent version via target from my iMAC resulted in an error message when I attempted to open the installer package. Any installer package, actually. The message was that the software could not be installed on my machine. I'm presuming that meant the iMAC itself. Interestingly, when I tried this from another (newer) MBP, the same install package asked me what machine I wanted to install the software on. I chose my MBP and Viola. The reason my iMAC balked will likely remain a mystery, but at hopefully the other info will help someone down the road. Cheers and thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Thanks for the rest of the story . . . Strange!

But, glad it worked out for you.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
PrettyCharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Thanks for the rest of the story . . . Strange!

But, glad it worked out for you.
Well, it seems disrespectful to ask for help and then not bother to follow up. (laughs) Love your pic and your quote, btw. (smiles)
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Well, it seems disrespectful to ask for help and then not bother to follow up. (laughs) Love your pic and your quote, btw. (smiles)
Thanks.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't share external hard drive on network...? | Multiple OS via Parallels Desktop 7? »