Exclamation Updated software and..... No itunes, Iphoto, mail, safari, or software updater
    Hey all,
    I own an iMac, which runs os x 10.6.8 with an Intel core. A few days ago, I updated lots of software (including the not-so-recent security update) iTunes, Safari, and a few others I don't remember. I let that run overnight, and when I came back in the morning, have my applications had stopped working. Thos listed in the title are the main ones, but there a a few other (including Utorrent, Avaast, Pacifist, and Zipeg so far) which are not built-in and were not included in the update.Due to its far-reaching consequences, I'd hedge my bets on it being due to the security update, but I have no proof. Google proved fruitless, so now I'm appealing for help. (For any smart-arses wondering how I can use google without safari, Chrome + firefox work fine)
    So far I have tried:
    - Deleting all the files for the relevant apps
    - Deleting iPhoto entirely (it worked for one person)
    - repairing disk permissions

And if I don't here from anyone, I'm going to try reinstalling OS X.

In Denial
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Have you tried downloading the combo updater and installing that?
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Tried that, it hasn't helped.
    However, rebooting gave me another symptom : My macs loading time, both for the whole os, and the individual accounts, was more than tripled compared to normal.

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Before deciding on reinstalling Snow Leopard, I suggest doing a verify and if necessary, repair of your hard drive. Boot the machine with your Snow Leopard DVD and enter Disk Utilities. Click on the First Aid tab and run a verify and repair for the hard drive.

It's possible your hard drive is acting up and that may be the reason for all your difficulties.

I already tried that, as mentioned in my original post. TY anyway.

It turns out that the update failed for some reason ( I don't know why) leaving me without a web kit framework. By the time I had deleted and reinstalled safari, it re-added the required framework. Problem solved.

Victoria, BC
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Moral of the story: when leaving a large download to run overnight, DISABLE your energy saver settings.

Thread Information