New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Problems since 10.7.4 update

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Zeroboost

Zeroboost is on a distinguished road

Since downloading the latest update I cannot access Speedchecker.org at all and the speedchecker at BBMax doesn't work correctly, giving speeds of anywhere between 2meg and 10meg - my line speed is 5meg.

Mail keeps asking for the mail server password but downloads emails anyway.

I thought that I had got some sort of malware but nothing shows up so I assume that the latest update is the cause. Why does Apple issue half-baked updates?

I just wish I could revert to 10.7.3. I am no techie so don't blind me with science, please!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You may have gotten some corruption with the 10.7.4 update. Download and install the Lion combo update which includes all updates up to and including 10.7.4. Go to the LINK.
QUOTE Thanks
jkylec

jkylec is on a distinguished road

I am also having problems with the update. Uggghhhh apple.

Mail app is giving me trouble too. Computer has completely frozen up and will not boot now.
QUOTE Thanks
Zeroboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You may have gotten some corruption with the 10.7.4 update. Download and install the Lion combo update which includes all updates up to and including 10.7.4. Go to the LINK.
That is the one I downloaded which caused the trouble. I see that I am not the only one having a problem caused by it.

I'm not too keen to download it again especially as it is a massive download - why didn't they simply have an update for 10.7.3 instead of this cumbersome way of doing it?

I am not at all impressed with Apple, having used them for many years and 3 computers, 2 of which are lying idle due to my local Mac repairer not being able to replace a graphics chip and therefore rendering the otherwise perfect iMac just so much junk. Really green modus operandi, I don't think.
QUOTE Thanks
dobby

dobby is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad

Only giving a combo update may not be a brilliant way of doing a update .
On other hand making a clone of you're HD before updating could not harm you and you can always goes back to the situation before the update .
Any how that is my of updating both on the Mac and linux box
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

What are you both talking about? The Lion update to 10.7.4 is available as a single update and also combined. The reason to use the combined update is to resolve problems that may have occurred with the single update. You should only use the combined update if the single update causes errors or problems.

Regardless, you should always have a working backup before updating the operating system.

(The 10.7.4 update and the Safari 5.1.7 updates can be downloaded stand alone not just in combined format.)
QUOTE Thanks
Zeroboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
What are you both talking about? The Lion update to 10.7.4 is available as a single update and also combined. The reason to use the combined update is to resolve problems that may have occurred with the single update. You should only use the combined update if the single update causes errors or problems.

Regardless, you should always have a working backup before updating the operating system.

(The 10.7.4 update and the Safari 5.1.7 updates can be downloaded stand alone not just in combined format.)
Software Update only showed the combined update. What am I supposed to do - ferret around for an alternative on the Apple web site? Not all of us are computer nerds and we assume that what Apple tells us to do is what we should do.

There was no mention of an alternative. If it had, I would have downloaded that instead.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
There was no mention of an alternative. If it had, I would have downloaded that instead.
I don't know what could have possibly gone wrong with your software update, however, I have never seen the auto updater show a combined update for download rather than a single update. As a matter of fact, the combined update is almost never available at the same time as the single update.

Were you notified of the update automatically or did you look for it yourself? In any event, for future reference now you know how the OS X software update works.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Sorry but here I updated 3 different Macs. There were two separate updates, 10.7.4 and after that Safari.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroboost View Post
Software Update only showed the combined update. What am I supposed to do - ferret around for an alternative on the Apple web site? Not all of us are computer nerds and we assume that what Apple tells us to do is what we should do.

Are you updating from 10.7.3 or something earlier? If you are updating from something before 10.7.3, you will only see the combo update. Also if you were lacking previous software updates, sometimes the combo update will be the only option so everything you missed is installed.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I connect my PC to Mac with ethernet to use Mac's wireless internet connection? | Hooking up Macbook Pro to Samsung LCD »