New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Need Help Doing System Restore Please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alexqd3

alexqd3 is on a distinguished road

I have the older Mac Macbook pro (6,1) it currently has Mac Os X 10.6.8
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz

I have the Lion Os X disc, I inserted it, rebooted the computer and held down the "C" button but nothing happens it just boots up normal. I am using the wrong disc? How do I restore back to factory settings. Please help.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Sorry there is no OS X.7 Lion disc. Did this come from someone else or an illegal download?

You have OS X.6.8 go into the App Store and purchase Lion for $29.00. Burn a copy to a USB thumb drive prior top running installer.

Make a Bootable Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Installer from a USB Flash Drive

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
alexqd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Sorry there is no OS X.7 Lion disc. Did this come from someone else or an illegal download?

You have OS X.6.8 go into the App Store and purchase Lion for $29.00. Burn a copy to a USB thumb drive prior top running installer.

Make a Bootable Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Installer from a USB Flash Drive
I have purchased the Lion OS already and I burned it to a disc after reading that I had to hold "C" with a OS X disc to do a system restore.I can't install it has this is a 2nd hand macbook pro and I do not know the password for installing things.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

What does the disc that you have look like? Lion was distributed on flash drives or as digital downloads that could be burned to DVD .It may be that you have a disc that is from a version of OS X too old to boot your machine. Generally a machine will not boot with an OS lower than it shipped with.

Here's what the various discs have looked like "What OS Disk Do I Need?" A Brief Overview

Mactracker - Get Info on any Mac can give you an idea of the minimum OS for that machine (probably Snow Leopard).

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks
alexqd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
What does the disc that you have look like? Lion was distributed on flash drives or as digital downloads that could be burned to DVD .It may be that you have a disc that is from a version of OS X too old to boot your machine. Generally a machine will not boot with an OS lower than it shipped with.

Here's what the various discs have looked like "What OS Disk Do I Need?" A Brief Overview

Mactracker - Get Info on any Mac can give you an idea of the minimum OS for that machine (probably Snow Leopard).
I downloaded Lion and burned it to a DVD blank, I computer Im using it on is 10.6 Snow Leopard, and tried the reboot while holding "C" but it just booted up normally
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

That's a different issue altogether. This might get you past that hurdle but I am not sure. Haven't had to use it yet. How to run the Password Reset utility in OS X 10.7 Lion | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks
alexqd3

Thaks a lot of the help, but that guide is for OS X Lion, and Im still stuck on Snow Leopard

I figured system restore would kill two birds with one stone since I want to get hid of all the crap slowing down this pc anyway. Im taking film editing and graphic design courses at my college in a week, and need to give this baby life again
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Have you tried using the Lion DVD that you burned and following those directions? I think it will work. If that does not work and you have a 10.6 (snow Leopard) discs try one of these tips Reset your lost Mac OS X password. There is a link to a method that does not rely on a disc at all.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

How did you make the Lion DVD? Similar as set out in this?

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7...allation-disc/

If the disc does not boot sounds like burning has failed.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IMAC does not shut down | My SSD is too fast.. and software can't access libraries on startup! »