New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Do I need a better OS?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikehende

mikehende is on a distinguished road

Just purchased a used Macbook mine says "Early 2008". My specs are 2.1 ghz 120gb 1gb ram, is the existing OS "Mac OS X version 10.5.8" the best OS for this unit or is there another OS which may work better or should I leave as is please?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehende View Post
Just purchased a used Macbook mine says "Early 2008". My specs are 2.1 ghz 120gb 1gb ram, is the existing OS "Mac OS X version 10.5.8" the best OS for this unit or is there another OS which may work better or should I leave as is please?
Snow Leopard is a good and inexpensive update ($29 thru Apple Online Store) but I would suggest you bump up your RAM. OWC is a good source.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

You didn't mention why you would need a "better" OS for your MacBook. Generally there are at least 4 reasons why folks need to upgrade their OS:

- features they need/want which are available in a newer OS version
- compatibility problems with apps. (need a newer OS version)
- compatibility issues with peripherals (need a newer OS)
- compatibility with newer hardware devices like iPhones & iPads

You mentioned none of these...so it's hard to say if you need a "better" OS.

Your MacBook is currently running OS 10.5.8. It can also run 10.6 or 10.7. It probably won't be able to run OS 10.8 when it is released this Summer (probably doesn't meet the min. hardware requirements).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

oh, sorry, I am simply seeking to optimize the laptop, not for any specific reason or application.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
oh, sorry, I am simply seeking to optimize the laptop, not for any specific reason or application.
Can we assume that by upgrading the MacBook's OS...that you won't be losing any compatibility with any current apps. or peripherals that REQUIRE OS 10.5.8?

If not...you could upgrade to either 10.6 or 10.7. To do 10.6...it will cost you $29. To do 10.7 (two ways):

- less expensive but more complex way (about $58)
- more expensive but much less complex way ($69)

10.7.3 is the latest OS version...so if you did this, you would be as up to date as possible.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

ok, thanks for the issue all, next issues please:

1] How can I get replace the previous owner's name with my own? Do I have to reinstall the OS like in a pc or is there another way?

2] Why doesn't the touchpad work like a pc where you can use it to single or double click? I can only scroll with the touchpad but have to use the left and right click button to do this?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:

2] Why doesn't the touchpad work like a pc where you can use it to single or double click? I can only scroll with the touchpad but have to use the left and right click button to do this?
Actually it is a "PC". PC stands for "Personal Computer"...but I know what you mean...just giving you hard time! For clarity...I usually call them "Windows Computers".

But more seriously...the MacBook's trackpad will do that. You probably have to open "System Preferences", then "Trackpad"...and adjust the settings.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Apple specs say you can increaser memory to 4GB, and OWC states 6GB will work. Whatever either will be a huge improvement on your current 1GB. Bet the poor thing struggles and you see a lot of the spinning beach ball. Best way to improve the OS is to go to the Apple Store and purchaseLion OS X.7 on the USB thumb drive for $69.00, back up all files or clone your current HDD to an external hard drive and do a clean install of Lion. Migration Assistant will transfer everything over from the external.

To download Lion from the App Store you need to purchase Snow Leopard for $29 and when updated to OS X.6.8 download Lion, another $29, so you can see the thumb drive has the advantage of having a bootable version.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If I were you I would back up my files immediately and ERASE that hard drive (1-pass with zeros, even!).

Then I would install a fresh copy of Lion, put back your files and buy any of the iLife apps you need from the Mac App Store ($15 each).

Until then, that Mac isn't really yours, and you have no idea what the previous owner may have installed in terms of keyloggers or other malicious software. Maybe nothing, but why even take the chance when its so cheap to properly set up YOUR computer?
QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

Thanks guys. I am attempting to load Lion on this unit, reading the Read Me, it suggests 'updating the firmware" by going to Apple - Support - Downloads but when I go there I don't understand what I have to do to see if my unit's firmware is up to date?
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

do not worry about the minor detail just download the lion osx, let us go from there, apple product is supposedly just works, no ifs and buts.
QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

The guy gave me a disk with the title "lion" on it, I tried installing it but I am getting an error message stating "Mac OS X 10.4 cannot be installed on this machine" so if version 10.4 cannot be installed then would it be safe to say that I will need a version "newer" than 10.5 [the existing version]? Could that be the reason why the older 10.4 version won't install?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

10.4 is Tiger and VERY OLD. That is why it will not install. You have to purchase Lion and download it or go to apple and purchase it on a Memory Stick, There are no DVD's of Lion.

Who was this Guy who gave you the DVD?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

A lot of things going on here
1) You need to buy a copy of the OS
2) You can't install an older OS than the machine first came with
3) Buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard or the Lion USB

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

The person I bought the unit from gave me a DVD with the OS, tell me this please, does this unit have a recovery option anywhere like in a windows laptop where I can reinstall the existing OS from a backup or would I absolutely have to purchase directly from Apple?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« System preferences is frozen | Trojan Virus Infected MacBook Pro....TR/Dldr.Matsnu.B Help »