New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How can Finder searches only bring up file names that match the term in Lion?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oxband

oxband is on a distinguished road

I switched to Lion and still feel like i dont understand the Finder. It's annoying.

The one thing i really want to do is simply enter a term in the search box and have only appear files whose names contain what i've written. How can i change Finder so it does that?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

In the finder press  F

That will bring up a more customised search, select name, and either matches or contains to limit searches to filenames
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-05-07 at 09.06.48.png (39.1 KB, 18 views)

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
doodle47

doodle47 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacMini (mid-2007), Core2Duo2.0, 2GB RAM, OS10.6.8

There was a button which could change it to search the contents of a file, which I rarely, if ever, used. Now there are no such buttons in the finder. How can I get them back, or simply change the default to search filenames only? Having to create a customized search every time is cumbersome and inefficient.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Until I figure out how to get that behavior back the following should help. In the Spotlight window type name:name of file. Where name of file is the name of the file you are looking for. This example shows it in a Finder window but it also works in the Spotlight search box OS X Secret Spotlight/Search Syntax

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
doodle47

doodle47 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacMini (mid-2007), Core2Duo2.0, 2GB RAM, OS10.6.8

Thanks Slydude that does help
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You're welcome. Glad to help. If that's a search that you do often it's possible to save the search and re-open it as needed. Then the only thing that you would need to change is the name of the files that you are searching for.

Basically you save the search as a Smart Folder and place the folder in the sidebar of a Finder window. The next time you need to change the filename for the search right click that folder and modify the search criteria. ATPM 16.03 - How To: Making Your Mac as Smart as Its Owner

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard drive says it's full of "movies"....nope. | Can someone help me with this? »