New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Connectivity Issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Graham90978

Graham90978 is on a distinguished road

Hi folks, I have been trawling the net looking for a potential fix for the problem I am having with my mac. As it stands, my mac is unable to connect to the internet despite showing full connectivity to my wifi. To make matters stranger, when I restart my mac, in the second after the wifi symbol goes from no connection to full connection, I can ssh into my work account via terminal and access it (Terminal is set to open at login and ssh was the last command that was typed, this is how I can do this so quick). Any more than a second after startup and I can no longer get access via ssh.
Safari just says that it cannot connect to the server.

My mac was fine using my own wifi at home. Then I connected to a different wifi while out and returned to find this issue. I can’t seem to solve it, and here are the different ‘fixes’ I have attempted. I must also note that in the Network preferences, under the airport tab, it says connected and has the correct IP address that I had before. If I click ‘assist me’ and ‘diagnostics’, it tells me everything is fine.
Also, I have not updated any software in a while so I don’t think this is an issue
I have tried the following and none have worked:

-Turn my router on and off again

-Reset my router

-Made a new airport location (both under ‘assist me’ and ‘edit locations’)

-Turned airport off and on again

-Retyped my WPA key

-The correct information appears under the TCP/IP tab. Nonetheless I have clicked ‘Renew DHCP Lease’ multiple times (It is set to ‘Using DHCP’). It is configured for IPv4 while IPv6 is set to ‘automatically’. There are IP addresses under the DNS servers section, there are no proxies set.

-I have removed all preferred networks and re-added them.

-My firewall has been set to allow all incoming connections and always has been.
Nonetheless I have tried turning it on and off again.

-Under Library<-Preferences<-System Preferences I have deleted NetworkInterfaces.plist, com.apple.network.identification.plist and com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

-I have removed my firewall log using terminal

-I have checked and my router does not have a limit to the amount of devices it can connect to. I have also rang our ISP to confirm this.

-I have checked and no other device connected to wifi uses the exact same IP address that I do.

-Also, I have downloaded a flashback detection tool (via windows) and ran it, it gave my system the all-clear!

After all of these above fixes, I have always restarted my mac to ensure they have been implemented. It is really frustrating as my sister’s windows 7 laptop and ipod touch connect fine, as does my own iphone. If it is important, we switched ISPs maybe 4 months ago but this doesn’t seem to be the issue. Nothing I have done has fixed this.
What is bugging me is the fact that I can ssh into my account for that split second after startup,as it means my macbook does connect but then seems to stop once it is fully loaded up. I am close to restoring to factory settings
Can anyone help? Is it possible I have pressed some sort of keyboard shortcuts or something to have caused this?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad3, AppleTV2

HI, welcome to the forum.

Lots of info about what you've tried which is great but can I get you to post/try a couple of things please:
Which Mac do you have?
What version of OSX are you using?
Is the connection stable/unstable if you connect from the router to your Mac using ethernet cable?
Do you have Little Snitch software installed?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
northrnchimp

northrnchimp will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD

Remove all instances of your home network (from the network prefs list), then remove all instances from the keychain (in utilities, keychain access), then join the network again from fresh. You almost did this when you removed your preferred networks, but you missed the vital step of also removing them from the keychain.

Or, just repair your keychain - from the main menu>keychain first aid.
QUOTE Thanks
Graham90978

Thanks for the responses guys, unfortunately, altering the keychain did not solve the problem. I also cannot connect via an ethernet cable. my mac is a macbook running OS X version 10.5.8 and I dont have little snitch installed! Thanks, I really appreciate the help
QUOTE Thanks
Hutchism

Hutchism is an unknown at this point

Just to rule out any dns issues. Can you ping google (74.125.132.113)?
No proxies set?

I'm guessing it's something simple, but these simple things can be so elusive!

Maybe a quick virus/trojan scan?

Maybe something's loading up at startup and trying to do funny things with your connection?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you are on cable can you connect the modem directly to your mac. Turn off wifi and try to connect to the internet

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Graham90978

Pinging google worked for a couple of seconds after restart then stopped (same as ssh) and connecting directly to the router with airport still shows full connnectivity but no access to the internet. Im thinking perhaps it may be something that runs after startup that might be causing the issue, if connectivity exists for a second then disappears when the mac is fully booted up
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

I'd still like you to connect direct to the modem rather than the router.

However it's worth creating a new user, restart and log into the new user. Then try the Internet again

QUOTE Thanks
Graham90978

I solved the problem!! While I was going to create a new account, I noticed that a program called pploader was set to run when the mac was turned on. This must have bloced all incoming connections but now that it has been removed from the list, I am back online! Many thanks to all of you who replied, couldn't have solved it without you!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recover deleted trash files on Mac | About To Throw My Mac Out The Window! »