New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

DVD Preparation: Source Files Disappear

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cmsict

cmsict is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I've been having this unusual problem with source files disappearing when I delete files from a DVD compilation (iMac 10.6.8).

The process:
1) Insert a blank DVD
2) Open DVD in Finder
3) Open separate Finder window containing the files to burn.
4) Drag (or copy/paste: same result) files from source (network share) to DVD.
[Issue: files are too large to fit on the DVD. Need to remove some files.]
5) Delete excessive files from DVD Finder window.

Problem: files deleted from the DVD compilation are also deleted from source!
Has anybody ever experienced this problem? It doesn't always happens, but it does happen frequently.

Thank you very much!
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Are you always opening the dvd's Finder window, dragging files in and then burning, or do you sometimes use an ordinary Finder window and then use the Burn option?

If you use the dvd's window, the files will be aliases and have a small black arrow at the bottom lefthand corner. You can delete these and the source file should remain.

If you use an ordinary Finder window, then files will be moved to that window, not copied. If you then delete, you are deleting the source file.
QUOTE Thanks
cmsict

cmsict is on a distinguished road

Hi MightyGem,

Thanks for the suggestion. I do always use the DVD finder window, so that wasn't the issue, but I discovered the problem was similar to your observation involving aliases.

I was dragging a folder full of files to the DVD. In the DVD Finder window, the folder had the alias arrow on its icon. However, I was opening that folder (alias), which was in the DVD Finder window, and I was deleting files from within, which did not have the alias arrow (because it was actually opening the source folder within that window since it is an alias).

The solution is to drag the contained files directly to the DVD Finder window instead of the entire folder. Then I can safely delete the files because they are aliases.

Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

No problem.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook OS Crash? Circle with Slash | Dashboard Stickies Won't Save on Exit »