New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac slow down especially start up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dkclark

dkclark is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I've done the research, searched online, tried a bunch of things, but am still experincing problems with my Mac slowing down, especially on start up.

I have a 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro, less than 2 years old, running 4 GB of RAM and OS Lion.

At first I tried all the usual, repair disk permissions, repair disk, MacKeeper, Onyx, virus scan, all did not work.

I then wiped all the free space, did not work. Then dumped a pile of video files, my hard drive is less than 20% full. Backup with Time Machine and restore. Did not work. Reset PRAM, and a few other of those types of things, including checking the start up programs, which finally resulted in me erasing the drive and reinstalling OS Snow Leopard, and manually putting my files back.

That seemed to work a little, I got a boot up in about 30 sec, but as I reinstalled and added programs, one by one, it went back to the old behaviour. So now I have Snow Leopard and a few files, and it takes well over 3 min to boot up. It's really no better, I almost want to restore from the Time Machine back up and start using Lion again.

What am I missing?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkclark View Post

What am I missing?
You did a lot of good stuff! Could be a bad HD.

Is this computer slow at any other time?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dkclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Is this computer slow at any other time?

- Nick
Yes, there are times when it gets hung up and I look at the spinning colour wheel for several minutes.

The biggest offender seems to be Safari when I have multiple tabs open, when it was new it worked like a champ no matter how many programs I had going.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Given all of the great troubleshooting you've done so far (including an OS reinstall)...and the problem seems to manifest at times other than just a slow booting...I would suspect something is up with the HD.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

You don't mention the little stuff, like quitting/restarting Safari to release memory, and preventing windows from re-opening in Lion if that's your OS, and checking for unnecessary apps launching at login, but I presume that's covered under "the usual".

Longtime Windows, then onto slippery slope with iPod/iTunes in 2006, then Apple TV, iPad, iMac, iPhone and finally rejuvenated a discarded MacBook. Happy camper.
QUOTE Thanks
dkclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demapples View Post
You don't mention the little stuff, like quitting/restarting Safari to release memory, and preventing windows from re-opening in Lion if that's your OS, and checking for unnecessary apps launching at login, but I presume that's covered under "the usual".
Yes, I've reset Safari, and unclicked "reopen windows".

I checked for apps on startup, the only one was Dropbox, so I unchecked that too.
QUOTE Thanks
Eerilyold

Eerilyold is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkclark View Post
Hi All,

I've done the research, searched online, tried a bunch of things, but am still experincing problems with my Mac slowing down, especially on start up.

I have a 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro, less than 2 years old, running 4 GB of RAM and OS Lion.

At first I tried all the usual, repair disk permissions, repair disk, MacKeeper, Onyx, virus scan, all did not work.

I then wiped all the free space, did not work. Then dumped a pile of video files, my hard drive is less than 20% full. Backup with Time Machine and restore. Did not work. Reset PRAM, and a few other of those types of things, including checking the start up programs, which finally resulted in me erasing the drive and reinstalling OS Snow Leopard, and manually putting my files back.

That seemed to work a little, I got a boot up in about 30 sec, but as I reinstalled and added programs, one by one, it went back to the old behaviour. So now I have Snow Leopard and a few files, and it takes well over 3 min to boot up. It's really no better, I almost want to restore from the Time Machine back up and start using Lion again.

What am I missing?
Been having similar problems with startup and read through the advice given which I tried without any success. My problem seemed to worsen after a recent backup. I noticed 'Start Disk' in 'System Preferences' Clicked on Mac OS X, 10.4.11 on Macintosh HD and restarted and everything is now back to the way it should start. It worked for me hope you find similar success.
QUOTE Thanks
Hutchism

Hutchism is an unknown at this point

Anything hogging more resources than it should in activity monitor?
QUOTE Thanks
dkclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchism View Post
Anything hogging more resources than it should in activity monitor?
I don't really know much about what should and should not be running in the Activity Monitor.

There's some obvious apps of course, but not sure what all of them mean. I watched the % User stat under CPU for a few seconds, it seems to be fluctuating between 20 and 40%.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Questions about Mac | Can't boot from another startup disk since OSX Lion install »