New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Sudden problem connecting to VPN

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Biff Dangler

Biff Dangler is on a distinguished road

I have OSX 10.6.8

I have been using Cisco VPN client 4.9.01.0280

For the last two weeks I have been using the VPN client with no problems. Suddenly it just won't connect. Is says it is contacting the security gateway and then never does.

Of course the company IT guys don't know anything about Macs so all they can do is confirm that everything is fine on their end.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Yes I have turned the computer off and then on again.

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Have you tried connecting from other locations? If it never contacts the security gateway then it may be a DNS problem. If you can connect to the VPN from other hot spots then it may be local to you.

What error message does it give? Time out? Rejections?

Depending on how your VPN is setup - is your certificate still valid? My company has renewals every year.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.1-MacMini3,1:10.9.1-iPhone6,1:7.0.4

Last VPN problem I had, MMS wasn't enabled and the MTU size ended up being too large. I bumped it down from 1448 to 1380 and it worked fine. Just a thought.

Privacy has become a luxury good. Be prepared to budget for it from here on out...
QUOTE Thanks
Biff Dangler

Biff Dangler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
Have you tried connecting from other locations? If it never contacts the security gateway then it may be a DNS problem. If you can connect to the VPN from other hot spots then it may be local to you.

What error message does it give? Time out? Rejections?

Depending on how your VPN is setup - is your certificate still valid? My company has renewals every year.
OK, I found a restaurant with public wi-fi and I was able to connect to the VPN (I am in a strange, 2nd world country at the moment).

Get this though.. now it won't then connect to the remote desktop connection.

thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Once you are on the VPN you should be able to use ping to see internal machines (Assuming that the internal machines are setup to reply) FIrst things first is to see if you can get to ANY internal assets like an internal web page, or a share drive. If you can't get to anything internal you still might be having a DNS problem - except with your internal DNS.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New I mac crashing | Mac Mail Smart Mailboxes (how to add more rules?) »