New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

We And Apple Must Be All Wrong about AV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

With so many threads lately concerning antivirus software it is interesting to read this from CEO Eugene Kapersky:-

Kaspersky: Apple 10 Years Behind Microsoft

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I'm sorry . . . I just can't buy that old "Macs don't have enough market share" argument. That may hold true for a certain criminal segment, but according to this logic nothing should ever eat the Vancouver Island Marmot (No. 3 on one list of the World's Rarest Animals). For that matter every endangered species ought to be free from predator attacks because they don't represent a worthwhile target.

The real truth is that the sociopathic teens that generate a lot of malware would LOVE to be the first to field a wicked Mac virus and wipe the smug look off of our faces. It hasn't happened because it isn't nearly as easy to do as the anti-Mac types would have us believe.

Market share really only matters if you're looking to turn a profit, like a cybercriminal or AV Software Exec . . .

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

The more market share Apple has the more of the scare tactics will crop up but as usual i continue to surf worry free.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
The more market share Apple has the more of the scare tactics will crop up but as usual i continue to surf worry free.

Dunno why, but this made me think of: "The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems fall through your fingers".

The whole argument is very flaky IMHO, from the first quote:
Quote:
Cyber criminals have now recognised that Mac is an interesting area. Now we have more, it’s not just Flashback or Flashfake. Welcome to Microsoft’s world, Mac. It’s full of malware.
Reaaaally?? Cyber punks are JUST NOW taking note of the platform? These guys need to get over themselves, quickly. As far back as I can remember, to my Windows days, it was always known that Mac users were (as said above) too smug for their own good, and that any black hat who could penetrate the all mighty Mac OS, would be praised by that community. (also said above)

The other dumb thing said:
Quote:
Mac’s turn next to live that gauntlet? I wouldn’t say so. I expect Apple to realize, and address the issues quickly; I doubt this will get out of hand. However, if you do run OS X daily, some common sense and perhaps even some security software would not hurt.
So even with Unix at the core, and the entirely different OS which sets it apart from Windows, Apple is going to magically whip up full time defenses which will once again make it impenetrable? Wow. What a cozy prediction. Or could it simply be that the issue isn't exactly the issue they're making it out to be in the first place?

All I ever do is use logic and common sense, and I'm good to go. Didn't need that punk CEO to impart his glorious wisdom upon me... Pffft.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Selling all my MAC and going back to 10 years more secure Winderz!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Selling all my MAC and going back to 10 years more secure Winderz!
I'm going to take it farther and go back to Win 3.1.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Quote:
I'm going to take it farther and go back to Win 3.1.
Nah... Dos 6.22 is the only way to go!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Just reinforces the argument many AV software developers use scare tactics in their marketing ploys.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Just reinforces the argument many AV software developers use scare tactics in their marketing ploys.
Which is one reason why I've always recommended AVG instead of one of the subscription based ones.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.2 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Statistically speaking Kaspersky is right.
That is like " the average Belgian male height is 1,73m and 21 millimeter." but so far I have not seen one of them.
As I said in one of my previous posts, a new business model is emerging for OS X -_-

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Would this be the same Kaspersky that recently started sending out scare notices about a "new" Microsoft Word trojan called "SubPub" or "LuckyCat" --- that was patched in 2009?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

At one time Kaspersky enjoyed being on the top of the heap of AV developers. It seems like in the last 5 years or so his stuff has been rated very poorly by PC magazines and others who run tests of AV software.

Besides being overpriced, in my humble opinion, it's junk. No wonder he's making noises and claims. On my Windows machines I stick with Microsoft Security Essentials which stays out of the way and works well. It's also free.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Disk Utility Stalls On Erase | strange black borders on most things now? »