New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Snow Leopard or Lion?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

The-Canuckster

The-Canuckster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: I don't have one. YET. *Plotting*

Hi. Me again. ^^;

As I mentioned earlier and elsewhere, I was thinking about making the switch. So what's been confusing me is which OS X to use; Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion? Or any other feline-named OS X? Which is most secure, stable, reliable, fast, etc. That sort of thing. Also, does it matter which kind of Mac is used? Say, iMac vs. Macbook Pro vs. Macbook Air?

Please be gentle, I'm a Mac/OS X virgin so to speak. Try to make your answers in the simplest terms possible...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Mountain Lion hasn't been released yet. Maybe the choice you're trying to decide between is Snow Leopard or Lion.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
The-Canuckster

Okay, thank you very much. As I said, I'm a OS X/Mac virgin. Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't sure.

So.. between Lion and Snow Leopard?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Canuckster View Post
Okay, thank you very much. As I said, I'm a OS X/Mac virgin. Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't sure.

So.. between Lion and Snow Leopard?
Kind of depends on what computer you get (vintage). If you get a brand new model Macintosh...Lion will be your only choice.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
The-Canuckster

I'd want a new one, I think. Why is Lion the only choice? Is Snow Leopard older?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Snow leopard came before Lion and yes it's around 2 years old. Apple with brand new machines usually makes it so only the latest OS will install.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I'd want a new one, I think. Why is Lion the only choice? Is Snow Leopard older?
Like "dtravis7" mentioned. Apple almost always ships new Macintosh computers with the latest OS...and that OS version is usually the minimum OS that can be installed on it.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
The-Canuckster

Ah, I see. That makes sense. Thanks guys! So.. one more question. Machines aside, which is the better OS X in your opinion? For the same reasons I mentioned before (stability, reliability, speed, etc.). Between Lion and Snow Leopard.

The reason I'm asking is in case getting an older machine with an older OS X might be better or not.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Ah, I see. That makes sense. Thanks guys! So.. one more question. Machines aside, which is the better OS X in your opinion? For the same reasons I mentioned before (stability, reliability, speed, etc.). Between Lion and Snow Leopard.
To be honest...for a new user...I don't think that it matters. Snow Leopard is 2.5 years old at this point. In another 1-2 years Snow Leopard will start to be thought of as "OLD"...some folks may even consider Snow Leopard "older" now.

Lion will be 1 year-old this Summer...so as a new user...there's really no reason not to start out with Lion.

My 2 cents,

- nick

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

At this point I think it is quite frankly nuts to be considering an older OS unless:

1. Your machine is so old that Snow Leopard is the latest thing it can possibly run.

2. You enjoy having your machine go obsolete quickly.

So Lion then.
QUOTE Thanks
The-Canuckster

Sorry. Bit of a dumb question then. Many thanks again! Lion it is.

Greetings from your friendly neighborhood Canuck!

If anyone has helped you, or has been exceptionally awesome, please use the Reputation System. Upper right corner of a post. ^^
QUOTE Thanks
The-Canuckster

Thanks guys for all the help. It's really appreciated by this Mac virgin.

If anyone has helped you, or has been exceptionally awesome, please use the Reputation System. Upper right corner of a post. ^^
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Sorry. Bit of a dumb question then. Many thanks again! Lion it is.
Not really a dumb question. If you were thinking of a slightly older Mac (2-3 years old)...you would have a choice...and could choose. There are some folks who do prefer Snow Leopard over Lion...but mostly because Lion really doesn't have much in the way of "jaw-dropping"...gotta have it...features.

But with that being said...there's really nothing terribly wrong with Lion. For someone that's upgrading...they just have to pay the $29 to get it (which some folks would rather not do if Lion doesn't have features they can't live without).

But for someone who is new to Macintosh computers...and will be buying a new computer with Lion pre-installed...there's absolutely nothing wrong with Lion.

The real bottom line. Eventually all of us will be running Lion (if we have computers capable of running Lion). Maybe not this year, or next year...but maybe 5 years from now.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
The-Canuckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Not really a dumb question. If you were thinking of a slightly older Mac (2-3 years old)...you would have a choice...and could choose. There are some folks who do prefer Snow Leopard over Lion...but mostly because Lion really doesn't have much in the way of "jaw-dropping"...gotta have it...features.

- Nick
What kind of "jaw-dropping" features are included in Snow Leopard? It seems kind of strange that the same (and more) features are not included in the newer Lion OS X...hm...
Thank you very much again.

-J.S.

QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

The huge feature of Snow Leopard was the Intel only code. The biggest thing about Snow Leopard was code optimization. They cleaned it up and removed the PPC code so it would run faster and more efficient.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to install blank Os Lion without loosing files | Spaces and Startup »