New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Lion vs. Mountain Lion


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
kafini

 
Member Since: Apr 22, 2012
Posts: 1
kafini is on a distinguished road

kafini is offline
I am in the process of researching macs and I am planning on getting my new mac book this summer. I have always been a PC user and I am really excited about getting a mac. My dell is on its last legs and I need a new computer. I was wondering if I should just go ahead and get the macbook pro with Lion on it, or if it is worth it to wait for Mountain Lion to come out.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

 
Stretch's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 13, 2007
Location: Central New York
Posts: 4,760
Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

Stretch is offline
Do you need a computer now?
Yes: Buy now
No: Buy when you need a computer "now"

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

 
RavingMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2008
Location: In Denial
Posts: 7,457
RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

RavingMac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafini View Post
I am in the process of researching macs and I am planning on getting my new mac book this summer. I have always been a PC user and I am really excited about getting a mac. My dell is on its last legs and I need a new computer. I was wondering if I should just go ahead and get the macbook pro with Lion on it, or if it is worth it to wait for Mountain Lion to come out.

Thanks!
Based on recent history the upgrade cost from Lion to Mt Lion should be minimal (Snow Leopard and Lion were both $29 USD). In my opinion if you want a MacBook Pro now, get it and enjoy it. If you can wait, there is a potential for a refresh on the MBP line this summer.

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

 
Member Since: Nov 15, 2009
Location: North Louisiana, USA
Posts: 5,449
Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Slydude is offline
If you buy a knew computer this summer Mountain Lion may be a free upgrade depending upon how long a period of time elapses between when you purchase and when Mountain Lion is released. In the past Apple has offered this to machines purchased a certain number of days before the new OS was released (don't remember if it is 30 or .90 days). No guarantee they continue this but it would not surprise me if there was something like this in place.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks
TBABill

 
Member Since: Apr 05, 2012
Posts: 22
TBABill is on a distinguished road

TBABill is offline
Worst case you get one now and get to use Lion for quite some time before Mountain Lion comes out. If some of the features you find in Mountain Lion sound good to you then you can always upgrade for minimal (or no) cost. If you find Lion to your liking then you are off and running early.

I had the same decision about a month ago. Wait for the new model or just get one. I just bought one. I sometimes burn Linux DVD's and the internal DVD was a bonus there. With USB so prevalent for Linux these days it's not really an issue, but sometimes there are issues with USB so I like the DVD option without having an external DVD burner. I also find all the features in the current line plenty for what I do...surfing the web, writing, spreadsheet work, music, image and image editing. Sure, the new model may be slimmer and have better options, but so too will the next release after that. Worrying too much about it becomes and endless worry so I made the purchase and haven't looked back. My MB Pro is awesome and I really enjoy the elegance and simplicity of OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 24,525
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafini View Post
I am in the process of researching macs and I am planning on getting my new mac book this summer.
Since you're not ready at the moment to buy...why not hold off with this question until the Summer (when you will be ready to buy)...and see what OS is shipping with new computers at that time.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 15,781
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is offline
All this fuss and hesitancy to save $30?? Seriously??
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2011
Posts: 736
ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

ycl1688 is offline
one thing to keep in mind is Mountain lion when it comes out, software update to its osx will NOT be via software update via apple menu, I believe will update thru apple store.
the goal is if you are happy with lion, you can keep it going. Till you want to go with MT
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

 
Raz0rEdge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 17, 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 7,122
Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Raz0rEdge is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycl1688 View Post
one thing to keep in mind is Mountain lion when it comes out, software update to its osx will NOT be via software update via apple menu, I believe will update thru apple store.
the goal is if you are happy with lion, you can keep it going. Till you want to go with MT
Mountain Lion is going to be a new release of OS X and will need be purchased, and it is most likely going to be available the same way Lion was (through MAS or USB Flash drive). Software Update is for free updates to the existing version of the OS, not paid upgrades..

--
Regards
...Ashwin



Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2011
Posts: 736
ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

ycl1688 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Mountain Lion is going to be a new release of OS X and will need be purchased, and it is most likely going to be available the same way Lion was (through MAS or USB Flash drive). Software Update is for free updates to the existing version of the OS, not paid upgrades..
Do not misunderstood me, the mt lion is going to cost money, what I meant is Lion osx itself
can be held on till you are going to buy the ML. The software update of ML will most likely not coming from software update. This give some one with Lion osx keep using lion osx, until one deems necessary for MT lion.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

 
Raz0rEdge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 17, 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 7,122
Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Raz0rEdge is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycl1688 View Post
Do not misunderstood me, the mt lion is going to cost money, what I meant is Lion osx itself
can be held on till you are going to buy the ML. The software update of ML will most likely not coming from software update. This give some one with Lion osx keep using lion osx, until one deems necessary for MT lion.
Yes, that's how it's always worked. Software Update within a particular version of OS X provides updates for that version only, never an other version (older or newer)..

--
Regards
...Ashwin



Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« How to add new startup disk | windows antivirus 2012 removal »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
OS 10.7 Lion feature/rumour roundup the8thark Apple Rumors and Reports 44 08-17-2011 02:03 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?