New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Formatting Hard Drive Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bookie56

bookie56 is on a distinguished road

Hi Folks!
I have a MacBook Pro which is causing me problems....
The hard drive crashed and even after repeated attempts I couldn't get it to repair it self....errors of imediate failure came up

I removed the drive and installed into an external case and connected to linux and could back up my files, but obvioulsly not the system recovery....

I have a new drive a Segate Momentus 160GB...
I have run the cd and tried to use the disk utility to partition and format the drive and it comes up errors:
"Disk Erase failed with the error: POSIX reports: The operation couldn't be completed. Cannot allocate memory".

After receiving the above error I did a search and one solution was to partition the drive in linux and then format it in the mac....
I did the above and hen run the cd and disk utility again and received the following error:

"Error: -69760: Unable to write to the last block of the device"

The same advice was given for this problem, but I still can't get to install because it comes up error and then after closing the diskutility my drive is no longer visible?!
I have even removed this brand new drive and run extensive tests and no errors are found.

Has anyone any suggestions as to how I can get passed these problems?

When creating the partitions in Linux - I just devided up the partition into two partitions, one for the inatallation, and one for personal files.

If someone wants to guide me with the partitioning and formatting - then I would be very grateful.

In Linux I could see the small EFI partition and then the main one for system. I even tried to recreate the same partition structure....nada...

Help someone.....

bookie56
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You could try formatting the whole disk first, its first entry in disk utility rather than any sub-partitions.

Then try and partition it after that, making sure if has a gUID partition map (its in the options button when you partition the drive)

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
bookie56

Hi
Thanks for that I will give it a try...
Post back later...

bookie56
QUOTE Thanks
bookie56

Hi again...
Nada...still unable to write to last block bla, bla, bla....

bookie56
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I would suspect a damaged drive, since I have never had any problems with new drives and partitioning

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
bookie56

Hi again
Well, I am not sure about the hard drive being the problem...have done extensive tests and the drive comes up OK every time.....
Beginning to think there is something else wrong here...
Thanks any way

bookie56
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro 09' Late Fan Trouble 6000RPM | MacBook pro doesn't recognize password »