New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

A really weird pixel problem, not dead or stuck...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

elekamit

elekamit is on a distinguished road

Hi guys!
This is the deal, I have a white pixel on my display.
At first I thought it was a dead/stuck pixel but then a funny thing happened,
I zoomed in (ctrl+mouse scroll up) and the pixel zoomed as well, it also moved around as I scrolled around. I tried using flickering images, etc, but nothing worked.
I have never seen anything like it, have you?

here is a video I shot with my Iphone of the screen zooming and the pixel moving as I scroll around. The Iphone is not moving!, only scrolling around.

IMG 0813 - YouTube
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Is it only affecting that specific page? It looks to me like the cached copy of the graphic element for that bar is corrupt. Use Onyx to flush your cache.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
elekamit

elekamit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Is it only affecting that specific page? It looks to me like the cached copy of the graphic element for that bar is corrupt. Use Onyx to flush your cache.
Nope, it's stays on like a dead white pixel (even in movies), which is what I thought it was, but once I saw that the zoom thing moved it I realized it is something really weird!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It looks like a defect in the LCD. Whether or not it's a dead or stuck pixel is debatable, however, I don't believe it's something that's inherent to the page you're viewing. Does it always return to the same spot on the LCD? If it does, that would pretty much indicate it's the LCD.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Now that I think about it some more… when you zoom, if one pixel is dead, then zooming wouldn't make the pixel go un-dead. But the surrounding pixels may "look" dead as you zoom in and their output is "merged" with the dead one. Or something like that… I don't know how to more accurately and technically describe my line of thinking here.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with Time Machine and ITunes | How to remove user icon? »