New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Invalid certificate for 's-static.ak.facebook.com

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lugnut66

lugnut66 is on a distinguished road

A window will pop up periodically on my screen saying:
"Safari can't verify the identity of the website:
's-static.ak.facebook.com...... Show certificate?....Continue?".

It happened even though I didn't have a Facebook tab open and had done nothing to trigger such a message. Of course I didn't go there (at least not on purpose).

Several days ago it was my Firefox browser that was showing this pop-up. During the same period, some of my Firefox bookmarked links to other sites started asking for certificate verification, but only on Firefox on my MacBookPro (OS X 10.7.3), not on Safari, and not at all on my non-intel G-4 Powerbook (OS X 10.5.8)

Also during this period I was getting MacbookPro screen freezes from which the only exit was to power down the computer. Deleting and reinstalling Firefox app didn't help. It was only when I trashed my Firefox profile that the problems stopped.

I ran a complete disc scans with Norton anti-virus and with Sophos anti-virus; also ran the script checking for Flashback. Came up clean.

Things have been quiet for the last few days. But now that pop-up is appearing on Safari; fortunately, no screen freezes - yet.

What's going on? What should I do?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut66 View Post

It happened even though I didn't have a Facebook tab open and had done nothing to trigger such a message. Of course I didn't go there (at least not on purpose).
That isn't Facebook. It is a malicious website that is trying to get you to think it is Facebook for the purposes of downloading malware or viruses.

Luckily, you're on a Mac, so this likely won't work. But it's not impossible for the Mac to get malware. You've apparently got a bookmark or something that's taking you to the wrong place.

Quote:
I ran a complete disc scans with Norton anti-virus and with Sophos anti-virus;
Useless. There aren't any viruses for Mac, and you running both of those could EASILY explain the bad behaviour on your MBP. I would strongly recommend properly UNinstalling both of them. (It's important that you follow their uninstall procedures, not just drag to trash!).

Quote:
also ran the script checking for Flashback. Came up clean.
Glad to hear it. You're on Lion, so you're not likely to be exposed to the Java Flashback malware in the first place, but a quick trip to Software Update for the latest updates will ensure that you won't have to think about it again.
QUOTE Thanks
lugnut66

Thanks. Pop-Ups seem to have stopped by themselves, and no more screen freezes.

But could you say more about:

"There aren't any viruses for Mac, and you running both of those [Norton and could EASILY explain the bad behaviour on your MBP. I would strongly recommend properly UNinstalling both of them. (It's important that you follow their uninstall procedures, not just drag to trash!)."

I know the subject of "no such thing" as (specifically) a virus for a Mac, as opposed to malware in general, has been extensively debated, but what I'm really asking about is how Norton or Sophos anti-virus could be harmful. I've had them for years and am not aware (say again, AWARE) of any damage they've caused.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You can do a search here to get an extensive earful on what a bad program Norton Utilities is and has been ever since Symantec got hold of it, so I'll not recap that.

I don't have any opinion on Sophos, though I consider it completely unnecessary and, like Norton, a resource and speed-sucking add-on that does nothing.

But the point I was trying to make is that having two anti-"virus" programs running at the same time is likely to create its own problems, just as having two firewalls on causes problems rather than making you "twice as safe."

This is not a PC; it's a Mac. It's not the same, and should be treated as the same.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

s-static.ak.facebook.com appears to be part of Facebook's CDN. I say this since the domain is owned by Facebook but part of the Akamai netblock (Akamai is a huge CDN). See here for more info.

Thus, I'm willing to bet that some page you're visiting has some sort of connection to Facebook. When that popup appears, see if there is some sort of Facebook feature (like a comment box).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
MacUserIssue

MacUserIssue is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

I am having the exact same problem appear on my 2010 MacBook pro, started tonight at 9pm. Less than a hour ago out of the blue and I have been visiting secure sites for college.

Says something like

"Not sure if s-static.ak.facebook.com is a valid certificate"

I do not know what to click so I exit out of everything. This error appears on RalphLauren.com and even this site (which I am using a different computer to write now). Why is there this message? I have no idea why nor if it is safe to click anything. I never had a FaceBook account so why am I getting this message suddenly?
QUOTE Thanks
MacUserIssue

MacUserIssue is on a distinguished road

Solved the problem, nm.

My Mac's internal clock was set ahead, past when the certificate was originally valid. Changed to the proper date and issue was fixed.

Apparently, this FB certificate goes on in the background anyway. Wonder what it is recording...
QUOTE Thanks
lugnut66

I've examined my stored cookies (preferences/privacy) and deleted those that looked suspicious, eg Facebook.net. I don't know how well that's worked, because I can then go days without that annoying pop-up appearing, then all of a sudden it reappears until I again purge cookies. I've not made note of the individual deletions, so don't know which, if any, did the trick. But it may be worth a try.
QUOTE Thanks
hesper

hesper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.8GHz Core i7 4GB; MacBook Pro 13.3" Core i5 4GB

2009 iMac intel i5 27"

While on internet, often receive message, "s-static.akfacebook.com" which asks if I wish to continue as my private information may be at risk.
Help, please. What is this and how do I eliminate it?
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

This has already been discussed on this forum.

Invalid certificate for 's-static.ak.facebook.com

SM

QUOTE Thanks
lindakay1117

lindakay1117 is on a distinguished road

So, I haven't heard or understood how (or if) you can make this problem go away. This pop up happens to me constantly. I'm almost tempted to "trust" the certificate so it will stop. I've deleted my cookies, I've reinstalled OS X, I've cleaned with MacKeeper.. nothing has worked. Anything else I can try?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Did you check your date and time settings? It's possible that a mismatch is causing your browser to think that the certificate is invalid.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Dogbreath is a jewel in the roughDogbreath is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

@lugnut66 . . . running antivirus is completely unnecessary on a Mac and they tax your system's resources.
QUOTE Thanks
hunter4

hunter4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindakay1117 View Post
So, I haven't heard or understood how (or if) you can make this problem go away. This pop up happens to me constantly. I'm almost tempted to "trust" the certificate so it will stop. I've deleted my cookies, I've reinstalled OS X, I've cleaned with MacKeeper.. nothing has worked. Anything else I can try?
Check your Router time. Mine was off an hour and had to reboot it. This seems to have cleared up the issue. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut66 View Post

Several days ago it was my Firefox browser that was showing this pop-up. During the same period, some of my Firefox bookmarked links to other sites started asking for certificate verification, but only on Firefox on my MacBookPro (OS X 10.7.3), not on Safari, and not at all on my non-intel G-4 Powerbook (OS X 10.5.8)

Also during this period I was getting MacbookPro screen freezes from which the only exit was to power down the computer. Deleting and reinstalling Firefox app didn't help. It was only when I trashed my Firefox profile that the problems stopped.

I ran a complete disc scans with Norton anti-virus and with Sophos anti-virus; also ran the script checking for Flashback. Came up clean.

Things have been quiet for the last few days. But now that pop-up is appearing on Safari; fortunately, no screen freezes - yet.

What's going on? What should I do?
Check your Routers date and time. Mine was off an hour and had to reboot it. This seems to have cleared up the issue. Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
hesper

hesper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.8GHz Core i7 4GB; MacBook Pro 13.3" Core i5 4GB

I am still encountering not only the "Facebook - akamai" freeze but also freezes on other sites (ex. Google). Thus far this thread has only told me that my late- 2009 iMac i7 will not respond to anti-virus programs. I have never used av on on the iMac but would appreciate a meaningful suggestion concerning the subject problem. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Black screen after OS X 10.6.8 update | Question... »