New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Software Update, Please Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dobby

dobby is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresa.ob View Post
Thank you yeah i just found that out lol so i'm looking through you tube.
What one would you recommend superduper or carbon copy clonner?
Never use the superdupper all I knew is that the carbon cloner works great
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

dobby, you seem to know your stuff, so it's curious that you don't type Mac instead of MAC. Mac is short for Macintosh, so when used in reference to Apple computers, should not be all caps.
QUOTE Thanks
dobby

dobby is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
dobby, you seem to know your stuff, so it's curious that you don't type Mac instead of MAC. Mac is short for Macintosh, so when used in reference to Apple computers, should not be all caps.

Well as somebody long before me once said "What is in a name "
Well even more the intended name was Mcintosch the name of red apple .
QUOTE Thanks
northrnchimp

northrnchimp will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresa.ob View Post
What one would you recommend superduper or carbon copy clonner?
CCC will allow you to make further incremental backups later on (meaning it updates the backup with only recently changed files, hence taking much less time). Superduper requires a purchase for that feature.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

For $29 go for SuperDuper. the registered version uses a smart little operation called Smart Backup. A weekly use of this updates any changes/updates made to your system during the week and takes 2-3 minutes. That way you will always have an up-to-date bootable copy of your internal drive.

And CCC is donationware in which the author asks user to make a donation.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
phice

phice is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2007, MacBook 2008, MacMini 2.1, TimeMachine, Airport Express, Airport Extreme

I can vouch for Superduper! I use it for some years now on Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard. I did try CCC at the time but choose for Superduper! Regularly, I backup my computers (a MacMini and two MacBooks) to an external USB HD.
About a year ago one of the MacBook's HD failed. After putting in a new HD, I successfully booted from the Superduper! backup copy and had the MacBook running in no time.
I did have some issues in the beginning, but all of them were due to the external USB drives and, most of all, due to insufficient USB power that in turn was caused by bad cables and/or bad USB hubs. Advice: run your external USB HD directly from the computer USB port (not through a USB hub) and with twin USB connectors (one extra for power) or external power supply if your USB HD has it. Note that a USB power issue has nothing to do with Superduper! Support of Shirtpocket has always been prompt. I have not contacted them in a long time becauseI have no issues with the software.
QUOTE Thanks
phice

phice is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2007, MacBook 2008, MacMini 2.1, TimeMachine, Airport Express, Airport Extreme

I can vouch for Superduper! I use it for some years now on Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard. I did try CCC at the time but choose for Superduper! Regularly, I backup my computers (a MacMini and two MacBooks) to an external USB HD.
About a year ago one of the MacBook's HD failed. After putting in a new HD, I successfully booted from the Superduper! backup copy and had the MacBook running in no time.
I did have some issues in the beginning, but all of them were due to the external USB drives and, most of all, due to insufficient USB power that in turn was caused by bad cables and/or bad USB hubs. Advice: run your external USB HD directly from the computer USB port (not through a USB hub) and with twin USB connectors (one extra for power) or external power supply if your USB HD has it. Note that a USB power issue has nothing to do with Superduper! Support of Shirtpocket has always been prompt. I have not contacted them in a long time because I have no issues with the software.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Merge m4a files? | highlighting text using option key not working properly in Preview 5.5.1 »