New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Wireshark

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cbrun

cbrun is on a distinguished road

New to Mac ... simply trying to get wireshark running. Piece of cake on a PC, but with the MAC it pretends to start, then nothing. Google for help gets me lots of hits, but no clear answers. Some say to do something called Macports, but when I try to load it, and I tried all the animals (Lepords, Lions, etc), each said it was wrong. I am running 10.6.4.

Some answers deal with running from the command line, and that atleast brings up the Wireshark window, but them fails. I get:

coabrunltam002:~ root# /Applications/Wireshark.app/Contents/MacOS/Wireshark
2012-03-26 12:47:57.241 defaults[1717:903]
The domain/default pair of (kCFPreferencesAnyApplication, AppleAquaColorVariant) does not exist
2012-03-26 12:47:57.251 defaults[1718:903]
The domain/default pair of (kCFPreferencesAnyApplication, AppleHighlightColor) does not exist
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/Wireshark.app/Contents/Resources/bin/wireshark-bin
Reason: Incompatible library version: wireshark-bin requires version 13.0.0 or later, but libfreetype.6.dylib provides version 10.0.0
coabrunltam002:~ root#

then told to do something with permissions, but that is where it loses me. No clear instructions as to do what with what permissions.

About to load windows on this thing unless someone can help! Just kidding, really though would appreciate any advice.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I've never tried WireShark, but one question I have is why are you running 10.6.4 rather than 10.6.8?

Possible OS updates my address the issues you are having.

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Your version of freetype is outdated. Update to 10.6.8 - this may update freetype (hopefully).

As a note - 10.6.x is Snow Leopard (Leopard is 10.5 and Lion is 10.7).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
alcom4x

alcom4x is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz/12GB RAM/1GB 6970

Mine works fine under lion 10.7.3 Perhaps you should try reinstalling it?
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

I had issues with interfaces not showing up until I did a sudo chown <user> /dev/bpf* from Terminal. Not sure if this will help you out or not.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Interesting. I actually hadn't brought up Wireshark since updating to Lion - it took a while to come up - and sent my processor into overdrive for a bit - but then it came up fine. Took about 2 min on my machine for some reason...

You have to have the X11 Terminal available. Installing Wireshark on Apple OSX
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Deleting bookmarks - Firefox and Safari | Dropbox/iDisk alternative »