New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

external hard drive issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

schroederbear

schroederbear is on a distinguished road

hello all,
not sure if this is in the right place or if it's a problem that's been fixed before [i didn't see anyone with quite the same problem that i have] but here goes.
i've got some sort of a Toshiba external hard drive [can give better details if they're needed, i just have to track them down] and for some reason, whenever i plug it in, it runs fine for the first few seconds and then suddenly an error message comes up that says i shouldn't unplug devices without ejecting them first when i haven't unplugged it at all. the little light on the hard drive is still lit up at this point and i can hear it running, but my computer doesn't recognize it any longer.
the first time i plugged it in, we reformatted it and thought it might be a good idea to put time machine on there. but it was taking forever and i was in a hurry to get out the door, so i decided to stop it and try again later. but that was the first and last time the hard drive actually worked.
my computer is a macbook, running snow leopard os x.
any ideas would be helpful! and please let me know if you need any more info. cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Sounds like some sort of corruption.

Hook it up and go into Disk utility, highlight the drive and run Repair Disk and see what is reported. It may be repairable, or you may have to erase and format. Also is the drive mains powered? It does happen to USB powered devices they simply draw too much power from the USB port.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Plex Media Player ??? | New Mac User - Slowing down system »