New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Time Machine Data on External Hard drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AaronInKtown

AaronInKtown is on a distinguished road

I am going to be doing a clean install for my friend who is currently running Leopard. He wants to keep all his music and pictures. I am bringing my external hard drive over to back up all his data.

My question involves Time Machine (which is why I was not sure if I should post here or under hardware). If I use Time Machine to back up all his data, when I do the clean install can I simply transfer all the data back on to his hard drive or will all the data be stuck on my external hard drive? I guess what I'm getting at is if it is going to require my external hard drive being plugged into his computer to access his data, I would rather just drag and drop his pics and music onto the external hard drive then just drag and drop them back after the clean install. I would prefer Time Machine just because it will keep me from having to search all over his folders trying to find all his data he wants to keep, but if it means all the data is stuck to my external hard drive, then it is of no use to me.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

If you do a clean install. as soon as it reboots it will ask you what you want to do next, create a user account or restore from a backup, choose restore from backup to bring back his User Account and all applications and settings onto the Macs start-up disk, just like it was before the clean install

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
AaronInKtown

AaronInKtown is on a distinguished road

I left out he is upgrading to Snow Leopard, then downloading Lion. But it sounds like your saying the data will be transferred back onto the Hard Drive, which is what I want to do. I know when I have done clean installs of Snow Leopard/Lion during the installation I come to a screen with four options and one is "restore from Time Machine" or something along those lines. So thanks for the quick reply
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Gray screen on MacBook after installing disc 1 | Default Color Settings »