New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lorie

Lorie is on a distinguished road

I have Mac Mail Version 3.6 and I need some help. Please... my email will not come in. I have tried everything I can think of. Called the internet provider they said it was a software glitch. Does anyone have any ideas? (OSX 10.5.8) Mail keeps asking for my password, when I provide it, it says it is invalid. I've changed it, restarted, still no email. I can send out. I can see my emails on the internet site of my provider, but I want it back in my Mac Mail. Has this ever happened to anyone else? It has been 5 days now...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Access your eMail provider's web site from your browser. Log in and then change your password. After doing that, go back to your Mail app and change the password there to correspond to the new one. Let us know if this works.
QUOTE Thanks
Lorie

I don't know how to change the password in Mail. I thought it would be easy, but I'm having trouble. Can you please advise me? I did change the password like you said and then when I went to Mail the only way for me to send an email was by using the new password I just changed with the provider, and I never changed it in Mail. I found that strange.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

You need to access your account options in the Mail program and setup the new password so that it gets copied to your "Keychain". Unless you do that, you'll have to enter the new password each time you send and receive mail from your ISP. Very inconvenient.
QUOTE Thanks
Lorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You need to access your account options in the Mail program and setup the new password so that it gets copied to your "Keychain". Unless you do that, you'll have to enter the new password each time you send and receive mail from your ISP. Very inconvenient.
Ok, everything went well, changed the password. Now the mail goes out effortlessly but does not come back when I send it to myself. I find it online with my internet provider's site. Why do you think I still can not receive email in Mail? Do you think it could have anything to do with my setting up bill paying with my internet provider? All this started about the same time?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Obviously something has corrupted in your mail settings, either in the Account Information Passwords or the Incoming/Outgoing Mail servers. Check what appears in your Incoming mail server. it should read something similar to
'mail.yourispname.com'

Also check with the ISP the port number.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Repair Disk is dulled out in Disk Utilities | Possible? Spyware on iBook G4 10.4.11 Panther OS X »