New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

can't unlock Recovery HD disk to install OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PNewt

PNewt is on a distinguished road

Im having some issues with my macbook pro and i would like to erase and reinstall mac os x lion on the "recovery HD disk" but it says its locked and i can't do any with it
QUOTE Thanks
PNewt

so my question is how can i unlock it?!?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

How about telling us what issues you're having? Maybe we can help you resolve them rather than reinstall Lion.

You can gain access to the Recovery partition by holding down the option key during boot up and selecting Recovery. From Recovery you can then run Disk Utility to erase and reinstall Lion if you choose.
QUOTE Thanks
PNewt

the main issue I'm having is when i unplug the computer from the power source so its running on battery only, it slows wayyyyyyyy down. every thing i do with it lags really bad, scrolling in a browser, opening and closing applications. or even just click on a button.
QUOTE Thanks
PNewt

i would really just like to more or less restore it to factory default. i don't really have anything that I'm worried about losing on it.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

See my first post. You reinstall Lion from the Recovery partition not on it. Boot into the Recovery partition and select Disk Utilities. Use Disk Utilities to erase your hard drive and format it for Lion. After which, download and install Lion from the App store. You don't have to pay again.
QUOTE Thanks
PNewt

when i try and erase the disk it says cant unmount disk every time
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

What chscag is trying to say is you don't erase the recovery partition. The message you're getting about can't unmount, is (nearly) always about the drive you started up from - the recovery partition. You don't want to erase the recovery partition. You want to erase the normal startup drive/Volume.

Your responses don't make it clear, so we've been repeating here.
QUOTE Thanks
PNewt

okay well i clearly dont know how to do what you are asking, is there somewhere i can read on exactly how to boot up to get me to where i need to be? how else do i get to the erase part without booting in recovery? if i boot up normaly i can erase it because thats the disk i booted from.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Please, we're not trying to trip you up here. It really sounds like you want to delete/erase the recovery partition (not correct thing to do) - instead of the normal startup partition.
You do know that installing Lion puts two partitions on your Mac - a startup partition (the majority of the hard drive), AND the recovery partition (a small partition - I guess about 5 GB)?
OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery
Apple - OS X Lion Recovery - Introducing Lion Recovery
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
QUOTE Thanks
PNewt

Yea I understand that. So you said that's probably not what I want to do, do you have another suggestion? I really do appreciate the help.
QUOTE Thanks
PNewt

Okay I read your post wrong. I don't want to erase the recovery partition. I understand what the confusion is. I really just want to completely wipe out my Mac and start it back like I just bought it (if possible).
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

OK - you need a different boot source. Did you make a bootable USB flash drive? Or, do you have a 10.6 DVD to start from?
You can't re-partition or erase a drive that you boot from.

To be sure - you know the recovery partition takes the place of a DVD for Lion? It is the installer and Utilities disk.
QUOTE Thanks
PNewt

i have a usb drive, how to i make it bootable? and is 4gb enough space?

yes- i understand now, thank you
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

This tells you how to create a recovery USB disk:
OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery Disk Assistant

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OS X Fun Terminal Commands | idisk »