New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

snow and sluggish all over

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fullhouse451

fullhouse451 is on a distinguished road

our mac is five years old and runs on snow leapard. The past year it has increasingly gotten so slow that it is bearly worth my time to use it. Everything hangs and the wheel just turns and turns no matter what I ask it to do. It also loosing the internet connection like every 5 minutes or when it goes to sleep and I have to constantly reconnect. I have tried all the obvious that I know..disc repair, permissions, mackeeper, deleting trash..etc..HELP its so slow I can't stand it!
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

How much hard drive free space?
MacKeeper is NOT a recommended tool. It could be slowing down your computer/may have deleted an important file(s). It is widely thought to be a Sham - does nothing of value and has caused slowdown on some computers. You should uninstall it.

Loss of internet and slowdown are separate issues.
For loss of connection - get iStumbler and use it to analyse how many neighbors are using the same WiFi channel and have strong signal. You can change channel on your router to reduce this problem. Please let us know what you find.
iStumbler 99

Slowdown - besides drive free space, you can look at two things - Activity Monitor will tell you if any program/process is using all the CPU %, causing slowdown for others.
Console Utility log files (look at all of them) tell you if there is some hardware or software error that is causing the system to repeatedly write an error entry, this repeating activity (like, more than ten per minute) results in slowdown for the computer.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

MacKeeper swindling its customers. Alternatives readily available.

And running any AV software by chance? Also consider running Onyx to speed things up. Version 2.3.6 for Snow Leopard.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
fullhouse451

Ok, deleted mackeeper. I have onyx..it's running permission repair again but other then that I am not sure really how use it. On activity monitor it tells me the following..CPU system like 5%'
, user 37~60% idle is about 40%. System memory free 38,wired 240ish, active 512, inactive 258. Disk usage free is 217.66 gb which looks over half to me. I stumbler lists three networks for us all in the same name..? One is listed 52%, one 30, one 25. Any advice on what to do with this info?

How is disk warrior? Is that one any good?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

As far as the speed issue, since it just started a year ago and is 5 years old, the Hard Drive could be on it's way out also. One quick thing you can check is run Disk Utility and look at the SMART status at the bottom for that main hard drive. Does it say passed or Failed?
QUOTE Thanks
fullhouse451

Onyx still running permission repair but I run the disc utility often and I won't remembere ever seeing a pss/fail option. I don't think I have ever seen a fail status anywhere. Istumbler is showing 47% but the graph shows a gap every now and then. Would that be the computer since the signal always says 47..that is not dropping. How much is a hard drive about? Is that just the memory?
QUOTE Thanks
fullhouse451

We took it into the apple store about a month ago and the tec guy tested the hard drive then and said it was fine. Can it test fine and still be the cause? I am just trying to decide if itis worth trying to fix or should I be saving my Pennys to buy a new one because fixing it wouldn't be worth it.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Internet - "3 using same name"? How about using same channel?

DiskWarrior is highly recommended.

But before getting DiskWarrior, tell us if your computer is running better after using Onyx?

SMART status is an info area near the bottom on the right side of Disk Utility.
(yes, hard drive failure can happen randomly - it's just an electromechanical device.)

Did you see any problem in Console logs?

CPU % is something that continually varies - you want to look at it when you think you're having the slowdown.
QUOTE Thanks
fullhouse451

Ok. It says the smart status has been verified and this disk seems to be working correctly. The log only lists from yesterday when I first turn onyx on and I don't see anything. Today when I got home the Mac turned on right away and was connected! I was so excited. Last night we reinstalled the wireless extender and now I have two networks, different channels and the higher one, that I think I'm on, does not have any more gaps on the connection graph!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Download and install a little utility called SMARTReporter which will advise if the drive is having problems. Use DIskWarrior myself, but at $99 not really worthwhile unless you are a power user - equal to the cost of a new drive.

http://www.corecode.at/smartreporter/

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
fullhouse451

Ok, after playing for sometime with my new found speed, noticed it is still getting hung up time to time. The wheel turns and turns for a minute or two when I'm web surfing and asking it to do stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

To try and rule out hardware failures, you should run Apple Hardware Test:
Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test
QUOTE Thanks
fullhouse451

Which one do I download? I did the 3.o one bUt I now have no idea what file to run
QUOTE Thanks
fullhouse451

Ok..nevermind. Found the file opened it. Gave me a preference window. Now do I do anything with it?
QUOTE Thanks
fullhouse451

Smart reporter has been telling me the disk is ok each day, but the console message tells me a lot esyncclient failed..not quite sure what that is.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Computer wont start up | Unable to make changes, i.e. installing software »