New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Need help deleting Codec-M

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

manultree

manultree is on a distinguished road

I wanted to watch a video online and ended up downloading Codec-M.

After watching my video (which was slow anyway due to my internet connection... college campus, go figure) I did not want the Codec-M program and deleted the file. I just put the folder in the Trash. (Stupid idea... I know).

Now I cannot uninstall it. I know it's bad/a bad add-on.

I tried to download it again just to uninstall it but can't even do that. The download link on the official website just redirects back to the websites homepage and the contact email is invalid/inactive. I've removed it as an add-on on Safari but I cannot remove it from Firefox. I have an old version (not sure which) because I do not like the newer version or its interface much. Every time I click disable or uninstall it tells me to restart Firefox. I do so and then it says a new add-on had just been installed, like I did it all over again. I have tried to delete every file I know that had Codec-M involved but it is still here. I removed the infected files my anti-virus found (though I cannot remember if it was after or before I got the Codec-M). But Firefox opens slowly now or at least the icon on the dock moves up and down slower than usual.

Since I do not have the file folder on my MacBook anymore, I don't know what to do.

How do I uninstall/take this thing off my laptop for good?

I hope this was descriptive enough. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

A program like AppDelete will delete the folder as well as any prefs and other files that have been added to the library folder

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
manultree

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
A program like AppDelete will delete the folder as well as any prefs and other files that have been added to the library folder

I have deleted the files in the Library folder that i could find. But the program is still here... Thanks though.

Other advice?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Has it inserted a prefs pane in System Preferences

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
manultree

Quote:
Has it inserted a prefs pane in System Preferences
What does that mean?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

 menu > System Preferences

Has Codec M inserted an Icon at the bottom of the Preferences window

QUOTE Thanks
manultree

Quote:
 menu > System Preferences

Has Codec M inserted an Icon at the bottom of the Preferences window
It is not there. But it still on my Firefox as an add-on. I cannot find it anywhere on my computer. This is weird.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Trash Firefox, using Secure Empty Trash and later download a fresh new version and see if that improves things. Many folk consider that codec to actually be malware.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
alvarnell

alvarnell is on a distinguished road

There is an Uninstall application on the .dmg file you originally downloaded which will uninstall it from Safari, Firefox and Chrome as well as deactivate and remover the updater and LaunchAgent files.
QUOTE Thanks
ilikeimac

ilikeimac is on a distinguished road

I am removing this from my brother's Mac right now. Here's what I've found that needed removing.

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.codecm.uploader.plist
~/Library/Application\ Support/Codec-M/
~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Extensions/codec-M.safariextension
~/Library/Caches/com.whitesmoke.Codec-M
~/Library/Safari/Extensions/codec-M.safariextz

/Applications/Codec-M.app/
/Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/Extensions/codec-M.crx

Note that it's best to stop the "uploader" agent before removing it. You can do this with the terminal command

launchctl stop com.codecm.uploader

I also found that the Safari home page had been changed to 'isearch.whitesmoke…' as mentioned here.

I'm still running a global "find" for other files, if it turns up more stuff I'll update this thread.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to update OS X | Help with file management - deleting files without losing my place »