Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   Snow leopard on powermac g5 ( mac using intel processor ) (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/269782-snow-leopard-powermac-g5-mac-using-intel-processor.html)

OdinH 03-16-2012 12:31 PM

Snow leopard on powermac g5 ( mac using intel processor )
 
Just bought the snow leopard disc only to realise that I can't upgrade my powermac g5 to os x 10.6. I was wondering if there is any way to trick your mac into believing it has an intel processor?
Please let me know :D

RavingMac 03-16-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdinH (Post 1383429)
Just bought the snow leopard disc only to realise that I can't upgrade my powermac g5 to os x 10.6. I was wondering if there is any way to trick your mac into believing it has an intel processor?
Please let me know :D

I think you could make tons of money if you could pull that off. No, not possible.

OdinH 03-16-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razormac (Post 1383433)
I think you could make tons of money if you could pull that off. No, not possible.

Thanks, but I don't think one could make too much money by pulling that of, considering most people would rather buy a new mac than paying some guy to upgrade your old crappy one.

RavingMac 03-16-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdinH (Post 1383483)
Thanks, but I don't think one could make too much money by pulling that of, considering most people would rather buy a new mac than paying some guy to upgrade your old crappy one.

But, people would love to be able to pay $29 for a replacement OS disk rather than the $100 plus Leopard costs on eBay.

pigoo3 03-16-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdinH (Post 1383483)
Thanks, but I don't think one could make too much money by pulling that of, considering most people would rather buy a new mac than paying some guy to upgrade your old crappy one.

Not exactly.;)

Currently an OS 10.5 install DVD costs around $80-$100 on e-Bay (the latest OS that can be installed on G5/PPC computers). A 10.6 Snow Leopard install DVD costs $29 from the Apple Store.

So if someone with a G5 running OS 10.4 (and wanted to upgrade their OS)...it would be much cheaper to upgrade to 10.6 (Snow Leopard)...than OS 10.5. So if it were possible...someone could write an app...sell it for like $10-$20 bucks...and it would still be better than paying $80-$100 for OS 10.5.

Of course this is just a theoretical discussion...since the real reason a person with a G5/PPC cpu cannot install Snow Leopard...is because the Intel cpu is just too different from the PPC cpu.

- Nick

pigoo3 03-16-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razormac (Post 1383489)
But, people would love to be able to pay $29 for a replacement OS disk rather than the $100 plus Leopard costs on eBay.

You beat me to it...I was being to "verbose" in my response!;)

- Nick

RavingMac 03-16-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1383495)
You beat me to it...I was being to "verbose" in my response!;)

- Nick

That's my usual problem


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.