Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: RAM not showing

  1. #1


    Member Since
    Mar 15, 2012
    Posts
    19
    Question RAM not showing
    The System Profiler in my Mac Pro 3,1 2.8Ghz (early 2008) shows that all four DIMMs in the A memory card are empty, but they are not. Both cards are full (4 x 2GB each). I first switched them, and the profiler continued to read that the A card was empty . I returned them to their original position, and it still reads that all four A card slots are empty. I ran a hardware test, which recognized all eight DIMMs and reports that they are functional.

    A) Should I assume then that all 16GB are functional?

    B) Any idea why the system profiler isn't recognizing the A card DIMMs, and how can I correct this problem?

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Dec 11, 2010
    Posts
    1,450
    Are you sure you bought ECC, fully buffered DIMS?

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Mar 15, 2012
    Posts
    19
    I didn't actually add any, 16GB original RAM; just recently discovered that only 8 are showing in the profiler.

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Jul 15, 2009
    Location
    In front of MY MAC OR LINUX BOX
    Posts
    211
    Specs:
    Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
    Boot you're MAC in the verbose mode .
    See if you can find in the beginning of the boot process the next 2 messages :
    PAE enabled
    64 bits mode enabled .

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Mar 15, 2012
    Posts
    19
    Both PAE enabled and 64 bit mode enabled show when in verbose mode

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Jul 15, 2009
    Location
    In front of MY MAC OR LINUX BOX
    Posts
    211
    Specs:
    Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
    Will you give the command in Terminal system_profiler .
    Supposing that you normally use the Gui and not the commandline .
    The command gives a very detailed info .
    Scroll along it to find the info you are looking for

  7. #7

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,265
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by rexk View Post
    I didn't actually add any, 16GB original RAM; just recently discovered that only 8 are showing in the profiler.
    Since this is a 2008 Mac Pro...what is it's history? Have you owned it since 2008...or did you buy it used recently?

    Ram for Mac Pro's can be "picky"...so it must be the correct type of ram. If you bought it used...maybe the previous owner installed the wrong ram.

    If you go to the Apple Drop-down menu...and choose "About This Mac"...how much ram does this window say the computer has?

    - Nick

    p.s. If "About This Mac" only reports 8 gig of ram...there is also a very special way that ram must be installed in Mac Pro's (matched pairs...and in the proper slots). So even though the Mac Pro has all eight ram slots full with 2gig DIMMS in each & every slot...maybe there are slight differences in the ram that makes them "not matched".

    Just thinking of any reason why all 16 gig is not being recognized.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Mar 15, 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by dobby View Post
    Will you give the command in Terminal system_profiler .
    Supposing that you normally use the Gui and not the commandline .
    The command gives a very detailed info .
    Scroll along it to find the info you are looking for
    Please explain further - I can follow basic instructions, but don't understand these comments.

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Mar 15, 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Since this is a 2008 Mac Pro...what is it's history? Have you owned it since 2008...or did you buy it used recently?

    Ram for Mac Pro's can be "picky"...so it must be the correct type of ram. If you bought it used...maybe the previous owner installed the wrong ram.

    If you go to the Apple Drop-down menu...and choose "About This Mac"...how much ram does this window say the computer has?

    - Nick

    p.s. If "About This Mac" only reports 8 gig of ram...there is also a very special way that ram must be installed in Mac Pro's (matched pairs...and in the proper slots). So even though the Mac Pro has all eight ram slots full with 2gig DIMMS in each & every slot...maybe there are slight differences in the ram that makes them "not matched".

    Just thinking of any reason why all 16 gig is not being recognized.

    Bought slightly used in late 2008, but think RAM DIMMs are all original; appear identical, and as I said initially, switching cards shows that card B is recognized regardless of which card is in it. Also, Hardware test says all RAM accounted for and functional.

  10. #10

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,265
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by rexk View Post
    Bought slightly used in late 2008, but think RAM DIMMs are all original; appear identical, and as I said initially, switching cards shows that card B is recognized regardless of which card is in it. Also, Hardware test says all RAM accounted for and functional.
    So you're saying that you've had this computer since "late 2008"...and now in early 2012 you finally notice this "little detail"???

    Anyway...you didn't answer my question about what does "About This Mac" report regarding how much ram is in the computer.

    Another place to check...go to your:

    - Applications Folder
    - Utilities Folder
    - open the "Activity Monitor" application
    - click on the "System Memory" tab near the bottom of the window

    How much ram is reported below the multi-colored "pie chart"?

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Jul 15, 2009
    Location
    In front of MY MAC OR LINUX BOX
    Posts
    211
    Specs:
    Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
    If you run the command I suggest among a lot of other info it also gives you info of the DIMM like :
    Size :
    Type
    Speed
    Status
    Part number
    Serial

    Empty DIMM if there are any empty DIMM

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Mar 15, 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    So you're saying that you've had this computer since "late 2008"...and now in early 2012 you finally notice this "little detail"???

    Anyway...you didn't answer my question about what does "About This Mac" report regarding how much ram is in the computer.

    Another place to check...go to your:

    - Applications Folder
    - Utilities Folder
    - open the "Activity Monitor" application
    - click on the "System Memory" tab near the bottom of the window

    How much ram is reported below the multi-colored "pie chart"?

    - Nick
    RAM showing under pie chart is only 8GB; how did hardware test see all 16 and deem them functional?

  13. #13

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,265
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by rexk View Post
    RAM showing under pie chart is only 8GB; how did hardware test see all 16 and deem them functional?
    Not 100% sure about that difference...but the 8gig showing under the pie chart would seem to indicate that the computer is only "seeing" 8 gig of ram (instead of 16gig).

    Here's a link to how Apple suggests that the ram be installed in Mac Pro's:

    Mac Pro: How to remove or install memory

    ...lots of install video's on You Tube as well...just make sure the videos are for 2008 Mac Pro's.

    What I would do is...remove all eight ram DIMMS (marking those that were working previously)...and see if they look different in any way. Different manufacturer, different chip layout, etc. And put them together in 'Matching pairs"...then reinstall per the Apple instructions linked above.

    If the ram DIMMS have little white labels on them (sometimes with spec. info on them)...check the ram speed if this info is there. You should be using "800 MHz DDR2 ECC fully-buffered DIMM (FB-DIMM) memory". If the speed on the ram is different than that...it might be the wrong ram. For example...667mhz or 1066mhz. Or if the ram is not "fully-buffered"...it might be the wrong ram.

    Check everything out...and please report back with your findings.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Mar 15, 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by dobby View Post
    If you run the command I suggest among a lot of other info it also gives you info of the DIMM like :
    Size :
    Type
    Speed
    Status
    Part number
    Serial

    Empty DIMM if there are any empty DIMM
    The process I followed is: About This Mac/More Info/Hardware/ Memory/Memory Slots
    Here DIMM Riser B/DIMMs 1,2,3,4 are showing full and OK (Below identical mfgr and partts #s are showing for each). Interspersed are DIMM Riser A/DIMMs 1,2,3,4 are all showing empty.

    If you're suggesting another path than this, please outline so I can follow. Other thread sent me to System Memory inside Applications Folder/Utilities Folder/ Activity Monitor,which is showing only 8GB

  15. #15


    Member Since
    Mar 15, 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by dobby View Post
    If you run the command I suggest among a lot of other info it also gives you info of the DIMM like :
    Size :
    Type
    Speed
    Status
    Part number
    Serial

    Empty DIMM if there are any empty DIMM
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Not 100% sure about that difference...but the 8gig showing under the pie chart would seem to indicate that the computer is only "seeing" 8 gig of ram (instead of 16gig).

    Here's a link to how Apple suggests that the ram be installed in Mac Pro's:

    Mac Pro: How to remove or install memory

    ...lots of install video's on You Tube as well...just make sure the videos are for 2008 Mac Pro's.

    What I would do is...remove all eight ram DIMMS (marking those that were working previously)...and see if they look different in any way. Different manufacturer, different chip layout, etc. And put them together in 'Matching pairs"...then reinstall per the Apple instructions linked above.

    If the ram DIMMS have little white labels on them (sometimes with spec. info on them)...check the ram speed if this info is there. You should be using "800 MHz DDR2 ECC fully-buffered DIMM (FB-DIMM) memory". If the speed on the ram is different than that...it might be the wrong ram. For example...667mhz or 1066mhz. Or if the ram is not "fully-buffered"...it might be the wrong ram.

    Check everything out...and please report back with your findings.

    - Nick
    Opened and checked all DIMMs. As I thought, they are identical; all info on tags is identical except serial #s. Appears to be OEM, as I was told. Also, they seem to work, as I switched the cards, and computer functioned the same. System profiler reported the same (Card A 1,2,3,4 all empty). Switched back.

    Am late to a meeting; will check back later.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. RAM not showing up.
    By Jake1404 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-18-2012, 11:34 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 10:55 PM
  3. Not showing all my RAM in Bootcamp
    By melekh88 in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 10:58 PM
  4. XP only showing 3GB RAM, OS X shows 4GB...
    By wgilles in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 03:57 PM
  5. I installed more ram but its not showing up?
    By Siddymae in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-24-2007, 12:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •