New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Linux for old mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scriptinggeek12

scriptinggeek12 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have a pretty old mac, with 500 MHz processing speed and a bit around 1a Gig or a Gig and a half of RAM (upgraded). It's a PPC G4, and I unfortunately dropped my panther install disk and stepped on it, so I'm without an OS. I do, however, have mac OS 7, 8, and 9 CDs, but OS 9 is waaaaaaaay too old. I also have a fully-functional macbook 3rd generation late 2007, and I'd like to know if I could get any linux CD to burn and install on my PPC G4. Are there any versions of Linux I could install onto this computer? It's got an 80 GB HD, so it doesn't need to be like a netbook version, but if that's all that's out there I'll take it. I've seen something called Puppy Linux, is it any good? I saw that it runs on 500 MHz processors, but I don't know if PPC is supported. Are there any better, more complete OSes than this one that's more than 100 MB? Is this my best option? Please reply with your answer, as it would help me alot. The other reason why I'd like it to be linux is because I'm planning on hosting my own home web server for a computer repair service, and I'd think It'd be more professional if I ran the server from home. Thanks!!

-scriptinggeek12
QUOTE Thanks
dobby

dobby is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad

I am not familiar with old MACS
But by a lot of distros releases you can also find the supported hardware .
A standard linux distro needs at least 512 MB of RAM , if you like to have a full scale desktop
Disk space it depends on what packaces you are going to install
But let say 60 GB is more than enough .
LXDE and XFCE are light weighted desk top , so it needs not resources consuming ,
Is Puppy good ?
it is a small linux distro .
So you have some configuring to do , while a grown up linux distro mostly works out of the box .
I even do not know if you try a Live CD if can harm a MAC
A Live CD is a full working Linux OS and mostly a install cd too .
If you wish to to try a linux distro down load it and burn it as a iso 9660 file and Not as data cd
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Used to run this on my old imac: YDL.net
imac 333 with 512 mb tray load. Try an older version.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

I've had good luck with Debian PPC 6.03/6.04.

You will be disappointed to find that Flash (videos like Youtube and some web radio stations) isn't available for linux PPC. The open source substitute, gnash, isn't working well yet either.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Puppy Linux is a good one. Check out this article
Linux on PowerPC Macs: Debian Runs Nicely on a G3 iBook
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "burn to disc" | Error copying files to Win2K3 file server »