New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Terminal not responding to my password

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chaleram

chaleram is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I have been a mac user for quite sometime now and have recently bought an iMac 27inch. It's the first time i have tried out OS Lion and I have been having problems with Terminal. The thing is that when i enter a sudo command terminal asks me for my password. I know that Terminal doesn't type in the password, you just need to type it in your keyboard and hit the return key and that's supposed to work.

I have tried everything and don't know what to do anymore. I have tried making my self a root password and entering it and it still doesn't work. I have also changed my admin password and it still doesn't work. I have even tried just pressing the return key without typing in anything and Terminal continues to say that its an invalid password or something of some sort.

Can anyone can tell me what to do? It's kind of an emergency because i need it to install an application that i need for work!!! So, any ideas are welcome!

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

As you correctly note, password prompts will not print back the keys you're typing for security purposes. Despite this, every key pressed is registered.

The password you need to use is your user password. You mention that you're using a root and admin password - those won't work unless you are one of those users. If you are entering your password, it's possible that your sudoers file is improperly formatted. The problem here is that fix it, you have to have elevated privileges which you can get by using sudo. Can you tell us what the contents of /etc/sudoers is? You'll have to use root privileges to view it.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chaleram

Thanks for replying so quickly!

The thing is that I am using the administrator user and password when i enter it in Terminal. I have also tried changing the root password through the same user and putting it in Terminal and it still doesn't work. This is what Terminal displays me when i enter the command and password:

sudo gdb /Volumes/'Autodesk'/xforce2012.app/Contents/MacOS/x-force
Password:
sudo: gdb: command not found
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

That's not a sudo problem - this error is telling you that gdb isn't installed. To get gdb, you'll need the Xcode developer tools (get them from the App Store). Once those are installed, go to Xcode > Preferences > Downloads and install the "Command Line Tools."

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chaleram

ok thanks!, i'll try this!
QUOTE Thanks
chaleram

THANK YOU SO MUCH! You are a lifesaver! I am totally grateful!

I had already installed Xcode but never realized that i had to do that download for it to work.

Thanks again!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Chrissy!

Chrissy! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
That's not a sudo problem - this error is telling you that gdb isn't installed. To get gdb, you'll need the Xcode developer tools (get them from the App Store). Once those are installed, go to Xcode > Preferences > Downloads and install the "Command Line Tools."
I am having the same type of problem. I am putting my admin pw into the terminal and I know it is correct, but it is not working.

I put in su - (enter)
Password: xxxxx (enter)

I get this:

Password:
su: Sorry

does anyone understand this?
Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Root access is disabled by default in OS X. Any reason you can't just use sudo?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Chrissy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Root access is disabled by default in OS X. Any reason you can't just use sudo?

Just ignorance! I got the commands I tried from someone who I think knows a bit more about pc's. How would I use the sudo command on a mac?

Thank you for your quick reply
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Just put sudo in front of any command you want to execute with elevated privileges.

I want to caution you here - elevating privileges can be a dangerous game if you don't know what's happening and/or you don't trust the source. Be careful.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Chrissy!

ah..good advice, I think. Thank you. I might want to rethink making any changes here.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

What are you trying to accomplish? We can certainly verify any suggestions.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Chrissy!

I am going to be building a new website (on a new host) for a site that already exists. When the new site is finished, I will point the domain. In the meantime, I do not have a domain. I was told to go into the terminal to do something with the host file, so I could work on the site without the domain.

Below is the instruction I was given. Does it look right to you?

To begin, open a new 'Terminal' window

type: su - (without the : mark)

enter your admin or root password

type: cd /private/etc/

type: vim hosts

use your arrow and page up/down keys to get to the end of the file

hit your 'i' key (just the letter, not the ' marks)

67.225.246.179 atlanticparasail.com [url=http://www.atlanticparasail.com]

hit escape

type: :wq (make sure to include the : mark, as this writes and quits the
editor)

then, bring up your atlanticparasail.com site in a new browser window

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The instructions are fine..you would just change it to "sudo vim hosts" and keep the rest the same..

Also, you can always just write down the IP address on a note near your computer and type it directly into the browser..

All you are doing here is making it so that you don't have to remember the IP address..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Chrissy!

Thank you! Okay, that clarifies what they were having do. I had no idea it was just so I would not have to type the IP address in each time
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Error Message when deleting trash | Picture File Location »