New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Can I allocate more memory to a specific application

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macwriter

macwriter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook; Model 4,1; Intel Core 2 Duo; 2.1 GHZ; 4GB Memory; 120GB Hard drive; 800 MHz bus speed

Using Mac OSX 10.6.6, can I allocate more memory to a specific application? In older OS versions you could, but I don't see how to do that in Snow Leopard.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

I'm pretty sure the 'nice' command still works in the terminal, no? I know that's more a CPU priority thing, but priority threads get more real memory than lower priority ones.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

OSX does a very good job of memory management, so apps should just get all the spare RAM they need.

In the old oS9 you had to juggle the memory around by hand, but its best to let the OS do it. I know photoshop can have a percentage of available memory so have a look at the prefs for your application

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
macwriter

Mac Specs: Macbook; Model 4,1; Intel Core 2 Duo; 2.1 GHZ; 4GB Memory; 120GB Hard drive; 800 MHz bus speed

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the 'nice' command still works in the terminal, no? I know that's more a CPU priority thing, but priority threads get more real memory than lower priority ones.
Thanks but I am not familiar with the "nice" command? Can you give me more info on that please?
QUOTE Thanks
macwriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
OSX does a very good job of memory management, so apps should just get all the spare RAM they need.

In the old oS9 you had to juggle the memory around by hand, but its best to let the OS do it. I know photoshop can have a percentage of available memory so have a look at the prefs for your application

Interesting. I wondered if that might be the case.

Now makes me wonder my application is causing CPU hickups.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by macwriter View Post
Thanks but I am not familiar with the "nice" command? Can you give me more info on that please?
Have you used "Terminal" before? If not...I would recommend "doing your homework" before diving in. Since you can REALLY mess up your computer if you do something wrong in Terminal.

If allocating ram is the biggest issue...maybe you simply need a ram upgrade (assuming your computer's ram can be upgraded from where it is currently).

- Nick

p.s. If we're talking about the MacBook in your profile...it looks like it may already be maxed out in terms of ram. I would still advise being VERY careful using Terminal if you haven't used it before.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
macwriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Have you used "Terminal" before? If not...I would recommend "doing your homework" before diving in. Since you can REALLY mess up your computer if you do something wrong in Terminal.

If allocating ram is the biggest issue...maybe you simply need a ram upgrade (assuming your computer's ram can be upgraded from where it is currently).

- Nick

p.s. If we're talking about the MacBook in your profile...it looks like it may already be maxed out in terms of ram. I would still advise being VERY careful using Terminal if you haven't used it before.

Yeah, I think that's a bit more complicated than I can try at this point. I'll see what else I can do perhaps from within the application itself. It's Studio One Recording digital audio workstation software.

Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, I think that's a bit more complicated than I can try at this point. I'll see what else I can do perhaps from within the application itself. It's Studio One Recording digital audio workstation software.

Thanks for your help.
Are we talking about the MacBook listed in your profile? If so...maybe you could be a bit more specific what EXACT MacBook you have.

Technically...there was/is no MacBook with a Core Duo 2.1ghz cpu. And there were a few models that could possibly fit a "2.1ghz" description (especially if some number rounded was done).

Depending exactly what model MacBook you have, there's a possibility that the ram could be upgraded further. Also realize that a 2.1ghz MacBook isn't the speediest computer around...and even if the ram can be upgraded...it may not solve any potential performance issues.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
macwriter

Quote:
Are we talking about the MacBook listed in your profile? If so...maybe you could be a bit more specific what EXACT MacBook you have.

Technically...there was/is no MacBook with a Core Duo 2.1ghz cpu. And there were a few models that could possibly fit a "2.1ghz" description (especially if some number rounded was done).

Depending exactly what model MacBook you have, there's a possibility that the ram could be upgraded further. Also realize that a 2.1ghz MacBook isn't the speediest computer around...and even if the ram can be upgraded...it may not solve any potential performance issues.

- Nick
I believe my upgrade from 2 to 4 gig was the best available.

The DAW manufacturer (presonus) says that the 2.1 ghz core duo CPU is sufficient. They pride their DAW on its newer programming standards that require less memory, as I understand it. I'll see what issues others are having with similar setups on the Presonus forum.Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I believe my upgrade from 2 to 4 gig was the best available.
You still didn't say exactly what MacBook model you have...since the info in your profile is not really accurate.

Just trying to help...just in case there may be further possibilities of upgrading the ram. Sometimes the ram on certain Mac models can be upgraded further than what Apple "officially" recommends.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
macwriter

Here's the model specs on my Mac from the Finder window for that:

Model name: Macbook
Model identifier: Macbook 4,1
Processor name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor speed: 2.1 GHz
Number of processors: 1
Total number of cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3MB
Memory: 4GB (I upgraded to the 4GB back in the fall at an authorized Mac dealer using Mac spec replacement memory sticks)
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot Rom Version MB41.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system) 1.31f1

I did go into my Mac last night and turn off the Airport during recording work and it conserved the CPU usage about 15% (From 75% to 60%).

Would zapping the PRAM and NRAM (?) help get more CPU per gallon as well?

Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:

I did go into my Mac last night and turn off the Airport during recording work and it conserved the CPU usage about 15% (From 75% to 60%).

Would zapping the PRAM and NRAM (?) help get more CPU per gallon as well?

Thanks for your help.
Not really.

DAW applications are notoriously sensitive to anything else running, although Macs and OS X are far better at handling this than Windows in my humble opinion. I'm not sure exactly what issue you think you're having, but depending on what you're doing in your DAW, 60% CPU usage might not be unusual. I use Logic Pro and regularly hit that with a far more powerful CPU.

If you're doing any serious recording, you should close all other programs, including WiFi connections. If you open your activity monitor (just type that in spotlight and hit enter to launch) you can see if there is anything chomping CPU aside from your DAW.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Here's the model specs on my Mac from the Finder window for that:

Model name: Macbook
Model identifier: Macbook 4,1
Processor name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor speed: 2.1 GHz
As I mentioned earlier...there was a chance that your MacBook could be upgraded beyond the "official" 4gig of ram.

You'll be pleased to know that although Apples "official" max ram for this model is 4gig of ram...it can actually be upgraded to 6gig!

Here's a link to the 6 gig upgrade:

OWC 5300DDR2S6GP 6.0GB Kit (2.0GB+4.0GB) PC2-5300... in stock at OWC

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
macwriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
Not really.

DAW applications are notoriously sensitive to anything else running, although Macs and OS X are far better at handling this than Windows in my humble opinion. I'm not sure exactly what issue you think you're having, but depending on what you're doing in your DAW, 60% CPU usage might not be unusual. I use Logic Pro and regularly hit that with a far more powerful CPU.

If you're doing any serious recording, you should close all other programs, including WiFi connections. If you open your activity monitor (just type that in spotlight and hit enter to launch) you can see if there is anything chomping CPU aside from your DAW.
Yeah, what I've found interesting though is at 75% CPU, the DAW will start to hiccup / lose audio signal.

I will try the activity monitor. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
macwriter

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier...there was a chance that your MacBook could be upgraded beyond the "official" 4gig of ram.

You'll be pleased to know that although Apples "official" max ram for this model is 4gig of ram...it can actually be upgraded to 6gig!

Here's a link to the 6 gig upgrade:

OWC 5300DDR2S6GP 6.0GB Kit (2.0GB+4.0GB) PC2-5300... in stock at OWC

- Nick
Wow, wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the tip.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Error copying files to Win2K3 file server | Mac OS X maintenance for windows user »