New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Self-Assigned IP address

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MAC75005

MAC75005 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I cannot connect to my wireless internet. It has been working fine for weeks and today it will not connect. It says I have full bars but then I cannot access the internet.

It says Self-Assigned IP address. May not be able to connect to the internet. I have done some looking around online but no one seems to have a solution.

I know the internet is working as I am connected via Ethernet. This has happened once before at a hotel and I could not fix it. As I live here, though, I really need my wireless working.

Can anyone help?

Thank ou
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
I know the internet is working as I am connected via Ethernet. This has happened once before at a hotel and I could not fix it. As I live here, though, I really need my wireless working.
1. Sorry I'm a bit confused are you connected to your router by ethernet or wifi?
2. Is this your home internet connection? If so Power cycle your router then reboot your Mac
3. Which Mac model do you have and which version of OSX?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
MAC75005

MAC75005 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for writing back.

I am connected via Ethernet at the moment. But the wifi has worked until today.
I am on a Macbook Pro Version 10.5.8
I have already rebooted the router (is that what you mean by power cycle?) and restarted by computer. It's just not working.

Any other suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Yes power cycle/reboot. But by removing the power not reboot from the web interface

OK.
1. do you have any other wireless devices? Do they connect OK?
2. have you had any OSX or router updates/changes in the past day or so?
3. What sort of wireless encryption is the router using? WEP/WPA etc.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
tamaras82

tamaras82 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 2GB RAM 500GB HD OS X Lion 10.7.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC75005 View Post
Thanks for writing back.

I am connected via Ethernet at the moment. But the wifi has worked until today.
I am on a Macbook Pro Version 10.5.8
I have already rebooted the router (is that what you mean by power cycle?) and restarted by computer. It's just not working.

Any other suggestions?
Hi Mac75005,

Yesterday I could not connect to the internet and I had that "self-assigned IP address" message coming up.

I tried two things, the second option is what worked for me, but I also tried the first

RESET YOUR MAC'S FIRE WALL:
1.Go to Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/ folder and move the files called "com.apple.alf.plist," and "com.apple.alf.plist.lock" to the trash.
2. Restart your computer. (when restarting you may be prompted to allow incoming connections to numerous programs and services, you can accept these and can later go to the Firewall settings and deny or remove them later..
3. Try connecting to the network again.

GET NETWORK ASSISTANCE:
1. Open Network Preferences
2. Click on the "Assist me..." button on the bottom center of the window
3. Click "Assistant"
4. Leave the "Location Name" it suggests (mine yesterday was "Location (3/24/12 12:22 AM)"
5. Click "Continue"
6. Check the "I use a DSL modem to connect to the Internet." option
7. Click Continue
8. Click Continue in the next "Ready to Connect?" screen
9. Enjoy Wi-fi again!
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

You should answer Mr Plow's questions.
Also, have you looked at the Airport pull-down at the top of your desktop to see whether you are connected to YOUR router?
When you disconnect the ethernet for WiFi troubleshooting, do you give it 3-4 minutes to complete the connection, before re-plugging ethernet?
When you've re-booted/power-cycled the router, did you have ethernet to the computer unplugged?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time machine will no longer back up and old back ups vanished | .plist extension crash reports »