New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Increased sizes of fonts on screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tada

tada is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, 21", 2.7 GHz Core iS, 12 GB, 1333 MHz DDR 3

I find the text too small to read easily in the mail etc. I realize that cmd and + give bigger fonts, but since I generally want clearer print, I would like to make adjustments so that bigger fonts are used by default. But I cannot find how to make the change...
New iMac 21´5
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You need third party software in order to change the size of fonts in applications so that they will appear larger. "Tinker Tool" is free. Give it a try. LINK
QUOTE Thanks
tada

Thanks for the suggestion. When reading the FAQs of Tinker Tool, though, it seems a bit more complicated than what my limited experience allows me to do. Apparently, the change of fonts may lead to other, unwanted changes in other elements...
A quote from the answer:
"The appropriate way to increase the size of fonts is to enlarge all parts of the user interface. This is possible by modifying the rendering resolution of the interface which is normally fixed at 72 pixels per inch. "
How is that done?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

They're talking about changing the overall resolution of the display which really is not desirable. Tinker Tool works fine. You just need to experiment a bit with it to see if it meets your need and if it doesn't, you can always revert back.
QUOTE Thanks
tada

I'm following your advice, and my first impression is that it seems to work well! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Thymen

Thymen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9

Hi;

I got my first Mac (27" iMax), and have to admit that I am stunned about the fact that it is almost impossible to configure the system in order to enable my 53 year old peepers to see the texts clearly. When I purchased the system, I assumed that it would be as easy to configure as in Windows..... NOT! Guess Apple's primary user base is less then 30 years old....

Tinker tool works well, but mucks up texts if you set the fonts too large. And it won't increase the size of menu bar / favorites bar texts, or help texts.

• In DeskTop Finder, under View/View Options, you can change the standard DeskTop font to a max of 16
  • In Safari, under Preferences/Appearance, you can change the standard List and Message fonts; I set them to 18 and 24
  • Im Mail, Preferences/Fonts and Colors will allow you to change some fonts

I find that OSX has some very nice features, but that the much acclaimed user-friendliness of OSX does not live up to it's promise.

Kind regards,

Thymen
QUOTE Thanks
tada

Thanks, Thymen,
Tinker Tool was a start but I find that your proposals have served me better.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Email Error “7541.emlx” couldn’t be copied to “Messages”. | Strange "Widescreen" Bars on OSX Lion »