New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Slow Startup Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jmacpo

Jmacpo is on a distinguished road

Hello to all! I just joined the community and I'm searching for some input with a new Startup issue on my MacMini OSx Lion! Every startup now involves a Grey Screen with the Apple Logo, Spinning Gear and a Progress Bar, delaying the startup to about 3 minutes. Final result is reaching my Desktop and all is well.
It seems that this issue has started after my install of Applejack and running the software to address sudden inability to view any Video on internet. The outcome was successful in addressing the Video problem but I'm wondering if somehow it has now created a New Issue with my Startup being extended/delayed. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

If you're under warranty, take it to Apple.

Otherwise, repair the hard drive using one of the three methods recommended by Apple:
Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck
(this was a pre-Lion guide - to try Disk Utility, boot from the recovery partition - one way is hold the option key after the gong sound, then choose recovery partition to boot, then find and use Disk Utility to repair the startup Volume.)

If this doesn't work, you'll probably have to reinstall OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
Jmacpo

Thank you for the reply and input on addressing this issue. Have you seen this issue before? I ask because, to me, it seems that while startup is successful(although delayed) it appears that with the Progress Bar being visible it is indicating that it is performing some sort of system testing either via an Apple application or a "third party app"? I mean the final result is that it does Boot to the desktop! Again, thanks for your taking the time and sharing your know how!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Try removing Applejack, the instructions were included with the download, and see if there is an improvement. Also checked out Startup items to see if anything is selected which would slow the Mini down?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Jmacpo

-- "If this doesn't work, you'll probably have to reinstall OS X."

I followed your suggestions and : Booted from the Recovery Disk and ran the Disk Utility which ran the "Checking File System" which returned "Volume Repaired"! Then ran "Updating Boot Support Partitions" which returned ERROR: Disk Utility can not Repair this Disk! Backup as many files as possible then Reformat your Disk and Restore your Backed-up Files."
So that's where I'm at for now - My most recent System Backup is about 6-7 days old and I plan to use that for my file restore. I can't figure out what caused the damage but hopefully a clean install will solve any and all present issues! Thanks for your input!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PKA not working on some OSX 10.6.8 machines | Slow Startup »