New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

linking macbook pro + alienware mx17 to 27" cinema screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fiors

fiors is on a distinguished road

Hi all

I have the mentioned macbook pro and alienware mx17 and would like to link them both to my 27" cinema screen. The alienware is VGA and the cinema screen has the power, midi, and usb hookup.
I bought this: Amazon.com: IOGEAR MiniView Extreme Multimedia KVMP Switch with Cables (GCS1734): Electronics
but now need a converter.

Is there an easier setup?
What would I need to convert screen to VGA and still have ports to connect macbookpro?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Which cinema screen do you have exactly?
Because this list of ports "power, midi, and usb hookup" doesn't sound quite right

Also, doesn't the mx17 have HDMI out as well as VGA?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
fiors

Hi there,

Its (actually) 24 inch late 2008 (1920x1200) NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB graphics; mini display port, magsafe, and usb outs. MX17 has VGA and HDMI ports..
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
I have the mentioned macbook pro and alienware mx17 and would like to link them both to my 27" cinema screen
Sorry, bear with me I've missed something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiors View Post
Hi there,

Its (actually) 24 inch late 2008 (1920x1200) NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB graphics; mini display port, magsafe, and usb outs.
This sounds like the description of a 24" iMac?

So do you have a 27" Cinema Display? (if so, which one exactly?)

How do you want everything connected?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
fiors

Nope its the LED cinema display at 24". Its got a 1" black frame.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Online backup services | lion »